How do you guys calculate extraction efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just wondering how you all calculate efficiency... I went to a site that basically says every grain has a maximum theoretical yield, and you take your lbs of whatever grain(s) it is, and multiply by the maximum theoretical yield
(listed as "points" from 29 to 37 depending on grain) giving you a magic number that you would reach if you had 100% efficiency (the site has a chart of common grains along with their theoretical). so lets say you had four different grains: ( 4 x 37 ) + ( 2.5 x 33 ) + ( 0.86 x 34 ) + ( 0.13 x 34 ) = 264 points.. Then you divide this # by the gallons of wort in your recipe, giving you a percentage. lets say 264 divided by 3.5 gallons of wort would be .75... This then equates to an OG 1.075... So if you had perfect efficiency, you would expect an OG of 1.075.. If your measured OG turned out to be 1.058, then we have 58 divided by 75, which gives an extraction efficiency of .77 or 77%. Is this the method most of you use? Or is there another methoid I should know about.. Maybe soemthing a little more liberal, since using this method, I have only achieved an efficiency of 61% my last couple brews... heheh

thanks
PS- This information came from http://www.hbd.org/uchima/tech/efficiency.html

Easy, I just plug the numbers into Beersmith and it is magic!

I love Beersmith....it makes me feel like I can brew all day and tweak recipes....just have fun with the hobby between brew sessions.

Second on the brewing software, I use ProMash.

61% isn't unheard of if you are batch sparging. I think calculating efficiency is a bit overrated, as long as you have repeatable results. Being off by like a pint in volume will change your efficiency >5%

Beersmith doesn't always have the correct SG potential for the grain you're using. I go to the maltster and get the Coarse Grind Dry Basis % and the moisture content % to calculate what 100% extraction would be for that certain grain. Also, when using corn sugar in the recipe, make sure the number in beersmith is correct. Just last night as a check, I put a lb of corn sugar in a gallon of water and the hydro read 1.040...beersmith had it listed as 1.046. Just like beersmith doesn't always have the right AA% for hops since that also changes year to year.

For example, Briess Pale Ale Malt

Extract CG, Dry Basis = DBCG = 78.5%
Moisture = MC = 4%

So...

SG = (DBCG - MC - .002) * 46.214 = (.785 - .04 - .002) * 46.214 = 34.337

SG = 1.0343 for 100% brewhouse extraction efficiency

In a spreadsheet, I calculate what 100% would be and compare that to the gravity sample after lautering. Also, when taking your volume measurement after lautering to use in your efficiency calculation, keep in mind that water expands as it is heated. For example, 9 gallons of water at 68F heated to 170F will be ~9.107 gallons which will change you efficiency calculation by 1%.

Thanks for asking that question, I was literally about to ask the same, since I hadn't found the answer yet anywhere. I'll be doing my first AG this weekend and wanted to make sure I had this all figured out.

Use Beersmith and plug in the actual gravity of the grain or extracts you use in the recipe. It does all the math for you.

Use Beersmith and plug in the actual gravity of the grain or extracts you use in the recipe. It does all the math for you.

But doesn't Beermsith only calculate Brewhouse efficiency? It doesnt calculate mash efficiency does it? If it does, I have never seen where it is..

Thanks guys
Chris

PS- HEY GUYS- NEVER MIND- I JUST FOUND OUT WHERE TO FIND MY EFFICIENCY IN BREWSMITH.... Thanks!

BeerSmith will calculate efficiency both into the boil kettle and into the fermenter. Click on the button labeled "Brewhouse Efficiency" when editing any given recipe.

But doesn't Beermsith only calculate Brewhouse efficiency? It doesnt calculate mash efficiency does it? If it does, I have never seen where it is..

Thanks guys
Chris

If you click the "Brewhouse Efficiency " button there are more in depth calcs on the pop up.

Back