Munich Dunkel recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golson3

Reaction score
I tried Paulaner Dunkel when I was on vacation this past spring and absolutely loved it. Since I'm getting back into homebrewing, I thought I'd try some other s as research (yeah, we'll call it research, that's the ticket) before moving forward on a recipe (very far down the pipe at this point). So please recommend me some commercial Munich Dunkels. I'm in the twin cities here in MN, so please make that a consideration if recommending a smaller local brewery.

Weltenburger barock dunkel and Ayinger altbierish dunkel, are my favorite commonly available imports.

I really like Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel. it's also listed as the first commercial example in the BJCP guidelines for Munich Dunkel. The BJCP guidelines are a good resource for top notch examples of a certain style.

Hofbrauhause Dunkel is a great example to try if your shop carries it. I have seen it at the local Total Wine several times in the last six months or so. I almost exclusively drank Dunkel when I was stationed in Bavaria, however, you won't find any of those smaller breweries' beers stateside. It's sad really.

Got a six pack of the hofbrau dunkel tonight and it was pretty good. I kinda feel like I'm getting screwed at $10 for a six pack, but it is what it is. Think I might make a trip to total wine and spirits soon in search of this Ayinger that comes so highly recommended. Thanks for the advice.

More than a dunkel, Augustiner's "Maximator" is mighty might good. It is their doppelbock of course. As I understand it you can't their dunkel in the USA, so we just have settle for the doppel.

As there only 6 brewers in Munich, you can try them all.

...please recommend me some commercial Munich Dunkels....

There's a tavern called, "Schlenkerla" in Bamberg, Bavaria, not far from Munich. It's been serving Rauchbier since 1405. In German import stores it's labeled as "Aecht Schlenkerla rauchbier" ("actual Schlenkerla smoked beer"). Uses smoked beech chips to make the smoked flavor. They also sell one using oak chips, but it's a 'recent' variation. I like the Urbock, but there's also a Marzen (seasonal).

Within Munich, itself, the Lowenbrau is different (better) than the American Lowenbrau.

Agree, Hofbrau Haus is very good. Cleveland (my home) and a few other cities recently opened Hofbrau Haus micro-breweries attached to restaurants. They're owned by the Munich company, and their German employees come here to run them. Tastes as good as it did in Munich. But there was a 3-hour wait for a table, and the drunks are more obnoxious here.

Last edited:
I guess I should clarify, I wasn't on vacation in Germany. There was a surprising variety of brews to be had in some establishments in Thailand.

It's not German, but Negro Modelo is a fantastic Dunkel Lager. I also just had Saranac's Winter Lager, a Dunkel, but that's soon to be off the shelves. All-time favorite is the Ayinger Altbairish Dunkel - just wonderful beer with such depth.

Back