Brewpub equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is a little old, but I'm in the planning phases of a brewery myself and am interested in where you got those 85 gallon plastic conicals from? I've seen plastic conicals before, but none that large. That'd be a great savings to me as the Stout Tanks & Fermenters 3 bbl system only comes with one SS fermenter and I'd surely need at least 4 fermenters.

This thread is a little old, but I'm in the planning phases of a brewery myself and am interested in where you got those 85 gallon plastic conicals from? I've seen plastic conicals before, but none that large. That'd be a great savings to me as the Stout Tanks & Fermenters 3 bbl system only comes with one SS fermenter and I'd surely need at least 4 fermenters.

I'm in the same boat. StPats does not seem to carry either the plastic conicals or the conical chiller plates anymore...at least not that I could find on their website.

For what it's worth though, the un-jacketed stainless conicals at Stout are pretty reasonably priced, you don't have to worry (as much) about scratching, and all of the fittings are sanitary. That said, I am more than a little curious to see what kind of pricing is out there for the plastic ones though.

Also, please send an update on your BrewPub! How is it going?!

That's great, thanks for the link!

Also, I am curious how grain dust is managed in a small brewery? Is some kind of fan and filtration required by law? Can you just vent it to the outside air without filtration? How about one of those central vacuums that are used in a wood-shop to catch wood dust?

I know that grain dust can be explosive in the right concentration, it's not the best thing to breathe, and has the potential to spoil beer, due to micro-organisms in it...although I've never had a problem at home, the quantities produced even in a small brewery are much more significant.

...Also, what kind of grain mill do you suggest? My homebrew malt mill does a good job, but I know I'm going to need something bigger, and something that I can drive with pulleys, a belt and electric motor, rather than a drill...which probably means something with ball-bearings, rather than the inexpensive bushings that the homebrew variety have, in order to handle the side loading of the belt tension.

Well got really busy while brewing and didn't photo anything... I'm having issues figuring out my numbers. My boil-off volume loss is not matching my gravity readings. But I got 40 gallons on my IPA into a fermenter and gave it some yeast from my pale ale right next to it.

I really like the plastic conicals. I drilled out one of the lids (which are about 16" in diameter and screw-in) to install a sprayball I got from St. Pats. Put a 1/3 hp sump pump in a bucket below the 1" bottom drain. Using 3/4" hose the pump will really drive that spray ball and clean the entire conical in minutes. There is no residual plastic taste that anyone can perceive, and these beers all taste better than what I've done at home.

These conicals cannot be pressurized, so I had someone cut the legs and weld on some extensions, in order to fit a keg underneath the cone.

I put the side port at about the 3 gallon mark, which is halfway up the cone. I think it was too high, it should be maybe 1/3 up the cone. I just leave more beer in the bottom than yeast this way. For the remaining 3 undrilled conicals I will place it quite lower.

The plastic conicals are kind of a pad for our startup costs :p I would've wanted all SS, but this saved us alot of money. The stainless one I may place in our walk-in, or fit with a glycol jacket to lager in the ferm. room. The plan is to replace them as we are able with stainless.

This was before I discovered those cool stainless cooling plates super-cheap that I could easily install in the lids of the plastic conicals :p
coolerInLid2.jpg

So I'll probably end up keeping these plastic ones for a good while.
Brewing again on Thursday, will be testing the full volume capacity of these things with a 75gallon boil volume, over 100lb of grain, and 1.5lb of hops.

Here are some pics of the conicals and the beginnings of some krausen:
PICT0026.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

Nice ideas Budzu i hope you are doing it well! did you install the colling plates from stpats.com? if you did it how do you sanitize them? i was thinking to add to a 1bbl bright tank but my doubt is how to sanitize because my bright tank comes with CIP. Also i was thinking to make a convoluted inmersion glycol chiller because i gues will be cheaper than jacketing the outside.

But once again my worries about sanitization, maybe i can clean and sanitize first the convoluted chiller and the interior of the lid and after do the CIP as normal.

All the best :tank:

What is the oxygen permitivity (sp?) like on those plastic conicals ? How long could you age a beer in them before it would oxidize ?

Thanks

BUDZU.......Hello there fellow Tennessean,

I saw your post on Stout Tanks website. I am looking to purchase their 2Bbl system and had a few questions for you.

Are you happy with it?
Are you using the electric heating system and control panel from brewmation?
If so, do you like it, or do you wish you would have gone with a direct fire?
What size HLT, Mash, and Kettle do you go with?
How long did it take to receive your tanks after ordering them?

Looks like you have a nice little set up going. I wish you the best and would love to come check out your space sometime. I am planning a similar nano in Nashville and would like to stay in touch, who knows what we could learn from each other.

Cheers,

Michael Kwas
[email protected]
615-498-8125

BUDZU.......Hello there fellow Tennessean,

I saw your post on Stout Tanks website. I am looking to purchase their 2Bbl system and had a few questions for you.

Are you happy with it?
Are you using the electric heating system and control panel from brewmation?
If so, do you like it, or do you wish you would have gone with a direct fire?
What size HLT, Mash, and Kettle do you go with?
How long did it take to receive your

I know this wasn't directed towards me but I just noticed the thread and work with a Stout 2bbl system so thought I'd give my thoughts. Hope you don't mind.

We're using the electric system with the brewmation control panel and we've been pretty happy with it. We've found the flow meter to not be terribly useful in our experiments, though we might have screwded up how we set it up as it wasn't a priority for us, on this scale more than happy just eyeballing the transfer speed and we've managed to get it dialed in after a few batches. The electric is a little slow to heat up that full volume. Our brewhouse is minimally heated so when I come in during the winter mornings the tanks are sitting empty at about 48F. By the time I fill the tank with HLT with hot water it's in the 120 to 130 range and probably takes me about an hour or so to get it up to around 180 (again, cold brewhouse in the winter and the grain and tanks are cold enough to hit mash temps we have to bring it up to around 180... The mash tun is unheated... We made an insulating wrap for it out of attic insulation and a tarp and bungee cords... In the summer we don't have the issues). So yeah, basically it is slow to get the temps up, but once it gets going we get a great boil.

The only issues with the boil kettle is once you have it filled up you really have to watch those first few minutes to prevent boil overs. There is a dial on the control panel that dials down the heating elements and drops the vigor of the boil. We just play a game of dial down, pump up, dial down, pump up until it settles. Though our last two batches we used Fermcap, 2 squirts of it and had no issues with it.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer what I can.

Back