Can't fit it in the hole! Alternative siphon methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To date I have only ever brewed 5 gallon batches. I am currently making a 5 gall cider though and the cider came in nice 1 gallon glass "carboys" for lack of a better word. I decided to make a bunch of mini batches of various brews in them with classy balloon airlocks (never used those either).

Anyway, I just realized my auto siphon doesn't fit in the hole at the top and I am guessing its not too bright of an idea to just stick my maw on one side of a siphon hose and suck. What other methods have people used to rack it off the lees when you have run into this problem?

Do you have a bottling wand and a siphon hose clamp? You could use it a like a mini racking cane. Use your mouth to fill the line with sanitizer and then clamp it off. Then you can rack without sanitation issues.

Not a bad idea. That sounds entirely doable. Not too excited about learning what straight starsan tastes like but I will survive lol.

If you're careful, you can do it without getting star san in your mouth. That's how I rack all the time, I don't have an auto siphon.

Pretty sure the shorter autosiphon will fit in there. I'll have to check the one I have and report back. If you're interested that is.

Sure. I only have a monster ginormous one so would be interested in case I make more of these mini batches. Might be worth buying one.

It fits...

small_autosiphon_1gallon_jug.jpg

Yeah, haven't used them in well over a year. Been sitting in one of the closets where I live now since I unpacked them (until today). I don't bother with 1 gallon batches anymore. Absolute smallest batch size I'll go for is 3 gallons. More often I'll make a 4-4.5 gallon batch of mead (or something other than beer). IME, 1 gallon batches are pretty much the same amount of effort to get to finish, but you get only a few bottles in the end.

BTW, the jar behind the jug is the second batch of vanilla extract I'm making. Started it last night. Need to get more vodka in there (getting some today). :ban:

When I ferment directly in those, I usually wait to rack for about a month so that the primary is done, and the majority of yeast/stuff has settled to the bottom, and gently pour the liquid out. I figure I'm going to have to rack again anyways, and I feel like I generally loose less liquid than with the mini auto siphon (I have one too). I use the mini siphon after it's mostly clear, and I'm getting ready to put it in the bottle. It's only then that I really don't want to suck up anything else.

BTW, the jar behind the jug is the second batch of vanilla extract I'm making. Started it last night. Need to get more vodka in there (getting some today). :ban:

How many vanilla beans did you use? I'm making a tincture right now for a gingerbread brown that has 1 vanilla bean, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1/2 oz fresh ginger in 8oz of vodka. I've been shaking it for two days now, and it's certainly not as dark as your extract. I plan on taking a taste today and trying different concentrations with my 14 day old wort.

Also, hello Nashua! I grew up in Exeter, definitely miss the east coast. :(

First batch I made, I used 2oz of beans/pods for a pint mason jar. The second batch is using a 24oz mason jar (measured it's total volume before starting it last night). Decided to use more beans this time, so I went with about 4oz in there. Split, scraped, and cut into 3 sections (each) and all dropped into the jar. Only had about a pint of vodka left in the bottle, which is why the jar isn't full and I'm going to get more today.

First batch of extract was in jar for about 8 months before I was able to bottle it up. Planning on going more like 5-6 months for this batch. I have a few beans/pods left over. Thinking of what to use them in... :D

BTW, these are Premium Bourbon-Madagascar vanilla beans... :rockin:

Holy crap, 4 ounces??? Did you find some sort of discount price on vanilla beans? The cheapest I could find at the grocery store was about $7 for a jar of two beans. The one I used weighted in around .15 oz. Yikes!

When I ferment directly in those, I usually wait to rack for about a month so that the primary is done, and the majority of yeast/stuff has settled to the bottom, and gently pour the liquid out. I figure I'm going to have to rack again anyways, and I feel like I generally loose less liquid than with the mini auto siphon (I have one too). I use the mini siphon after it's mostly clear, and I'm getting ready to put it in the bottle. It's only then that I really don't want to suck up anything else.

It's never a good idea to pour out of the fermenter, "gently" or not, once fermentation has finished.

I'm an old winemaker, and siphoning is second nature to me. It's not hard at all. Just fill a piece of sanitized tubing with water, put your fingers over the ends, and put one end in the fermenter below the level of the wine, and the other in a bowl that is lower. Take the second finger off, and it will flow. Pinch it to stop, and then put the end in the new vessel. It takes some practice, but it really is very easy to do once you get the hang of it. I can siphon out of wine bottles, jugs, carboys, etc, in one easy step. I didn't even get an autosiphon until about 6 years ago!

Holy crap, 4 ounces??? Did you find some sort of discount price on vanilla beans? The cheapest I could find at the grocery store was about $7 for a jar of two beans. The one I used weighted in around .15 oz. Yikes!

Got them from Amazon... :D

BTW, agree with Yooper (100%) about NOT pouring when you should be racking. Personally, I've not used a siphon in well over a year. I simply use a CO2 push to transfer whatever I need to. Doesn't get much easier, and the CO2 protects everything from oxidation. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, agree with Yooper (100%) about NOT pouring when you should be racking. Personally, I've not used a siphon in well over a year. I simply use a CO2 push to transfer whatever I need to. Doesn't get much easier, and the CO2 protects everything from oxidation. :D

I am all for what works, and is easiest for everybody!

I also think that it would be a good experience for everybody to learn to siphon the "old fashioned way", because stuff happens and autosiphons clog and break. It's actually MUCH faster when you rack a gallon of wine or mead to just siphon it and not dig out the mini-autosiphon and clean and sanitize it. You also get more wine out of the jug when you're not using the autosiphon. I'm pretty lazy, really, when it comes right down to it. That's why my winemaking skill are so good. :D

I started brewing with my Dad's old wine equipment and have been siphoning from the start. I don't mind it at all so I've never bothered getting an autosiphon. IMO though, it's much better to use a clamp than to pinch the tubing as Yooper suggested. But like she said, whatever works for you.

I am all for what works, and is easiest for everybody!

I also think that it would be a good experience for everybody to learn to siphon the "old fashioned way", because stuff happens and autosiphons clog and break. It's actually MUCH faster when you rack a gallon of wine or mead to just siphon it and not dig out the mini-autosiphon and clean and sanitize it. You also get more wine out of the jug when you're not using the autosiphon. I'm pretty lazy, really, when it comes right down to it. That's why my winemaking skill are so good. :D

I did siphon before getting set up for the CO2 push method. Fermenting in sanke kegs that are adapted to have ball lock gas posts on them, and using TC caps fitted with liquid posts, helps me now. I don't need to move the fermenting vessel an inch in order to transfer from them (to serving keg, or aging vessel). No more lifting things to siphon from (higher than what they're going into) for me. Not an issue with 1 gallon batches, but can be when you're talking about over 6 gallons in primary.

Back