Tea hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I recently read of tea hopping. A process where someone steeps hops in 170 degrees F of water for roughly a half hour. then instead of dry hopping, they would throw this tea into their keg and serve after carbed. (only releasing hops aromas.)
It got me wondering......what if I made some hop tea and put it in my mash? Would this increase my aroma? Without adding any bitterness?

What do you think?

Oh, here's the link to what I read.
http://www.homebrewjunkie.com/2008/10/hop-tea-vs-dry-hopping.html?m=1

Adding a tea at flameout isn't really any different than just adding the hops at flameout, except that 5 Gal of beer will absorb a lot more hop oils than 1 qt of water. You might look into whirlpooling/hopstanding. You could also add your tea at bottling/kegging, or just dry-hopping in the keg.

I dry-hop in secondary and then also throw a hop-bag into the keg. Use voile cloth. Sure, you might get a tiny bit of particulate matter, but the aroma is uber fresh.

I made a hop tea for my last keg of IPA - mostly Columbus. Not bad, quicker that dry hopping, but I thought I had lost my touch. Dry hopped in the keg with 1 Amarillo and 1 Cascade on my latest IPA and I'm back on top. FYI

Pat

Ok I got an Imperial pale ale kit in first ferm at ludicrous 78ish temperature , been in for week pretty sure all major ferming is done .. Can I rack and dry hop after only a week ?

ifearnothing0 said:
Ok I got an Imperial pale ale kit in first ferm at ludicrous 78ish temperature , been in for week pretty sure all major ferming is done .. Can I rack and dry hop after only a week ?

Double check and make sure fermenting is done. Then hop it up

Used a hop tea once to salvage a missed hops addition. Worked OK, but got a little "grassy" flavor.

Any way to tell if to if It's safe to rack by eye in a bucket ? .. Never took gravity readings

It doesn't have to be 100% done to rack it; there are plenty of yeast still in suspension, and racking will agitate things enough to help move what's left of fermentation along. That having been said, plenty of people dry-hop in primary with great results. If you really fermented it at the ludicrous temp of 78, I'd leave it in primary another couple weeks, then dry-hop.

You can rack to secondary before it's "done", but you wouldn't want to bottle it until it is. My mid-gravity ales are usually done fermenting to FG within a week, then I give a few more days to clean up and rack or keg.

Crap ! Lol .. I'm totally down to experiment with stuff, and all the ideas sound plausible and lika lot of fun also , jus don't wanna murder my 3rd batch lol

Try this. Put an oz of leaf hops in the french press. Add a cup of beer, then three cups of boiling RO water. Let it set until it’s cool.

I have been doing this instead of dry hopping my pales. It seems hard (alkaline) water is the cause of the grassiness people complain about. The beer adds a little acidity and alcohol, which improves the extraction.

Back