Attenuating a Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I brewed a big Russian Imperial Stout last Sunday, OG was 1.110. This Sunday I took a sample and it looks like it’s about 1.035. I usually primary 4 weeks but don’t usually take samples along the way, so I’m not sure what attenuation typically looks like after a week. I don’t have much experience under my belt yet, so I’m reaching out for some advice. I’d be happy if this beer ended 10-15 points lower. Right now it’s in my basement at a pretty steady 68F. Is it safe to expect this beer to attenuate out left alone for another 3 weeks or should I consider moving it to a warmer spot (say 72F) to help it out?

Thanks in advance. :D

You're fine, but it wouldn't hurt to bring it up to a warmer spot at this point.

I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits. If I move to the warmer spot, it'll be subject to bigger temp swings, probably 72-76. If I raise the temp now, at 1 week, should I keep it there for the remaining 3 weeks, or bring it back down to 68 after I've gotten the attenuation I'm looking for?

What yeast did you use? Every yeast is a little different, some attenuate more than others, and they all prefer a certain temperature range.

I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits. If I move to the warmer spot, it'll be subject to bigger temp swings, probably 72-76. If I raise the temp now, at 1 week, should I keep it there for the remaining 3 weeks, or bring it back down to 68 after I've gotten the attenuation I'm looking for?

I'd say if you bring it up to the warmer range you should probably leave it there for a couple days past full attenuation. That way you keep the yeast in suspension during cleanup as much as possible. However, you'd probably be fine moving it to the 68 degree room when you reach full attenuation (what that full attenuation will be depends on the yeast), as long as you don't force cool the yeast (which could cause them to start flocculating).

If your ambient temp only swings 4 degrees over the course of a day your beer will actually only changed a degree or so. Maybe. Liquid is much more dense and it takes a while for it to come into equilibrium with the air. Don't worry about it.

One thing to point out... with an OG of 1.11, 1.035 may be as far as you're going. Not saying it is for sure, but you're at 68% attenuation as it is, and when you consider the high level of roasted (and therefore not very fermentable) malts you would have in your grain bill, expecting much more might not be realistic. For comparison, another 10 points would put you at 77% attenuation, and another 15 points would be 82%.

Anyways, leaving it alone might result in more attenuation. Moving it to a warmer spot might result in more attenuation. But there's a very real possibility that 1.035 after a week is done, given a 1.11 starting OG.

The RIS I did a while ago was at final gravity after 4 days.

What yeast did you use? Every yeast is a little different, some attenuate more than others, and they all prefer a certain temperature range.

Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II, attenuation should be 73-77%. So yes, another 15 points is probably embellishing a bit but I want to do what I can to at least hit 1.030 which would be 73%.

If your ambient temp only swings 4 degrees over the course of a day your beer will actually only changed a degree or so. Maybe. Liquid is much more dense and it takes a while for it to come into equilibrium with the air. Don't worry about it.

This is a good point. Besides, the temp range for the yeast is 65-75F. I think I'll probably move to the warmer room and let it finish primary for another 3 weeks there. After that I'll either bottle or secondary back in the cooler room.

Since it's a RIS, I plan on giving it plenty of time to mellow out. Any suggestions on whether I should let it mellow in a secondary for another month or two or just bottle it after a month of primary and let it mellow in the bottles?

I think letting it warm up a bit now would help get the yeast to chomp that down to its fullest.

And +1 on a few months of bulk aging.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely going to warm it up to let the yeast finish.

Thus far, I only have buckets. Is it worth it to go out and get a carboy for the bulk aging or is it all the same in a bucket?

Back