Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
HazelNut Brown Nectar

HazelNut Brown Nectar is a nutty twist to a traditional European Brown Ale. Dark brown in color with a hazelnut aroma, a rich nutty flavor and a smooth malty finish. Dedicated to the homebrewer in each of us--the homebrewer who inspired this creation is Chris Studach, a friend of Rogue's resident wizard John Maier, who added a Northwest twist to the classic style by adding hazelnuts for the host homebrew at the 1993 American Homebrewers Association convention. Chris put the nut in nut brown!

Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale is a blend of Great Western 2-row Pale, Munich, Hugh Baird Brown, Crystal 80 and Crystal 135, Carastan, and Beeston Pale Chocolate malts; hazelnut extract; Perle and Saaz hops. HazelNut Brown Nectar is available in a 22-ounce bottle, a special commemorative 3-litre bottle with ceramic swing-top, and on draft.

Measurements: 14 degrees Plato, IBU 33, apparent attenuation 73.6, Lovibond 36.

Hazelnut_Brown_Nectar.gif

Ok this is going on my to do list right after the BVIP. Does anyone already have the percentages on the recipe?

I like this beer as well, cant help u out, sorry. Would like a recipe if it shows up.

I didn't like this beer... but, I believe it's found in BYO's clone recipe edition.

Unfortunately, my copy is at home.

Chimone said:
is there any way I can get that recipe without having to buy the kit?
My buddy brewed it, I can see if I can get it from him...although he did an extract+steep recipe not an AG version.

The kit shouldn't be that much more expensive than buying everything separately..then you would have their recipe for it.

Dan

Chimone said:
is there any way I can get that recipe without having to buy the kit?

I have a clone recipe for it. You want AG or Extract?

From BYO Clones:

5GAL/ Partial Mash
OG=1.056 FG=1.014
IBUs=33 SRM=32 ABV=5.7

1.75 lbs Coopers Light DME
3.3 lbs. Coopers Light LME (late addition)
9oz Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
5.6 oz crystal malt (15)
1lb 3 oz Crystal Malt (75)
5.6 oz Crystal Malt (120)
3.8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt

7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min)
1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn)
1 tsp Irish Moss

WLP001 or Wyeast 1056
1/8 oz Stearns and Lehman Flavor-mate hazelnut flavoring

Steep Grains in 6.3 qts at 154 for 30 min Sparge at 170 with 3.2 qts. Add water to make 3 Gal stir in DME and boil

Add Perle at 60, Saaz at 30, LME and Irish Moss at 15 min

Ferment at 60 degrees for 1 week, add Hazelnut flavor to secondary.

AG Version

Mash 8.25 lbs Pale Malt with specialty malts in 15 qts of water at 153 for 45 min.
Sparge at 170 with enough to collect 6.5 gals. Boil for 90 min and use hopping and fermentation schedule above.

Hope that helps, this is next on my list after my Arrogant Bastard Clone this weekend! :mug:

Anyone got an AG recipe for this? I had a pint at the YardHouse this weekend and it was frickin' amazing!

I just had this last night for the first time...

the server brought it out after i asked for a hazed and infused, and left...

I tried it and loved it! I had to hunt her down to ask her what it was..

8.25 lbs Pale Malt
9oz Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
5.6 oz crystal malt (15)
1lb 3 oz Crystal Malt (75)
5.6 oz Crystal Malt (120)
3.8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
--at 153 for 45 min
Sparge at 170 with enough to collect 6.5 gals.

Boil for 90 min

7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min)
1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn)
1 tsp Irish Moss

WLP001 or Wyeast 1056
1/8 oz Stearns and Lehman Flavor-mate hazelnut flavoring

i think that would suffice for an ag recipe.. taken from that byo post..

I made the AG version of the BYO clones recipe, turned out great, I highly recommend making it if you like the Rogue version.

heres what I found

Hazelnut Brown Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

12-A Porter, Brown Porter

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 18 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.75
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.56
Anticipated SRM: 38.0
Anticipated IBU: 34.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.1 8.00 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Britain 1.036 4
8.5 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20
8.5 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
6.4 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.3 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 18.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 9.9 30 min.
2.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 6.5 1 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Notes
-----

25ml HazelNut Exrtract at keg.

4 oz unsweetened cocoa powder last 5 minute
s

do you think with that recipe, you can add the hazelnut at the secondary instead of the keg.. I wanna bottle a few of these before I keg it..

I absolutely Hate HAZELNUT! But I thought this beer was pretty good. Otherwise I Hate HAZELNUT!

Here is the recipe from AustinHomebrew:

Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar

OG: 1.056

0.5 LB Munich Malt
0.25 LB Victory Malt
0.5 LB 120L Crystal
0.5 LB 90L Crystal
0.125LB Chocolate Malt
20 mins @ 155 degrees F

7.0 LB Pale LME

0.75oz Perle @ 60 min
1.0oz Saaz @ 5min

Yeast: White Labs California V
Starter: yes

20 ML Hazelnut liquor at kegging

I know Chris Studach and will be hanging out with his brother Kirk in Portland tomorrow (A great brewer in his own right). I'll see if Kirk knows, or can ask Chris for a good resource for the hazlenut nectar.

I just had this for the first time a few days ago, and I'm hooked. I couldn't quite imagine ahead of time how well hazelnut would work in beer, but I think it totally 'clicked' with the brown ale, and came out unbelievably smooth. Would be a great dessert beer, and while I think it's a little shy of being sessionable by its very nature of being a flavored beer, I could definitely at least have a couple of them in a session.

HighPlainsDrifter said:
20 ML Hazelnut liquor at kegging
Am I correct in assuming that since you mention AHB's recipe includes this 'hazelnut liquor' it's the same as this item which they carry?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=505
'Liquor Quick Hazelnut' (which happens to come in a 20mL bottle)

Seems a little pricy for what it is, but at least being at AHB it's easily available, and more than worth it if a clone recipe comes out anywhere near as good as the original...

Here it is. The hops listed as CFJ-90 are Centennial. At the time, they were so new they didn't have a name yet! Chris woin them as a proze at a homebrew comp. This was the official beer at NHC that year, and Chris brewed and bottled it all himself! It was also where he met John Maier....John liked the beer and the rest is history. Chris's pic is on the bottle (around here, we call it "Bald Guy Brown") and since then John has brewed a couple other of his recipes.

Brewdate: November 11, 1992
7lb 2-Row
2lb Browned 2-Row*
1/2lb 120L Crystal
1/2lb 20L Crystal
1/2tsp Gypsum
1 1/2lb Danish Extract (Fermenthaus)
1/2oz CFJ-90 (11% Alpha)
1/4oz Perles (7.6% Alpha)
1/4tsp B.Brite ( or 1tsp Irish Moss) at 20 min
1338 Alt Yeast
5/8 cup Dextrose to Prime
1.25 Fl. Oz Hazel Nut Flavor Drops (Flavor Mate)

Modified step mash: 120F - 20 min.
156F - 90 min.

*375F - 2-Row Malt 40 min, In Oven
12/22/92 - Rack to 2nd; Add Nut Flavor
1/17/93 - Bottle
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.014
IBU:27

FYI, the Flavor Mate has been discontinued. It was a coffee flavor extract if I recall correctly. Some LHBS will also sell flavor extracts, but I'd recommend starting small then bumping up if needed. I did a version of this and used 1oz of flavoring and it was way too much.

7lb 2-Row
2lb Browned 2-Row*
1/2lb 120L Crystal
1/2lb 20L Crystal
1/2tsp Gypsum
1/2oz CFJ-90 (11% Alpha)
1338 Alt Yeast

What is "Danish Extract?" and is 1338 Alt yeast still available?

1338 is still available. Danish extract is extract made in Denmark....;) IIRC, it's reasonably high in unfermentables.

Just wanted to say (and I signed up pretty much just to tell you this), I made this beer twice. The first time was only my 3rd batch and it was good but I didn't have a large enough bag for the grains so it came out kind of light. Second time (and 2 batches more experience) I had a bigger grain bag and also added some (~3oz) chocolate malt. And then I tossed some ground espresso into my secondary fermenter. It is crazy good. The pride you take in a good beer is amazing but this is better than that. Thanks for your recipe, spead the love of good beer!

Just wanted to say (and I signed up pretty much just to tell you this), I made this beer twice. The first time was only my 3rd batch and it was good but I didn't have a large enough bag for the grains so it came out kind of light. Second time (and 2 batches more experience) I had a bigger grain bag and also added some (~3oz) chocolate malt. And then I tossed some ground espresso into my secondary fermenter. It is crazy good. The pride you take in a good beer is amazing but this is better than that. Thanks for your recipe, spead the love of good beer!

I see many recipes on this thread. Which did you choose?

Between this thread and another on this forum, I've found no less than five recipes, two of which claim to be the original and authentic version. Anyone want to weigh in on the most authentic, or best tasting, etc.?

dwarven_stout says:
"Even better. You can have *the* recipe. Rogue's Hazelnut Brown started out as a homebrew recipe, and they've released the original recipe in the past. The original hazelnut extract they used is no longer available, so I used an organic roasted hazelnut extract.

8.5lb 2 row
1.5lb munich
1.2lb caramel 80
.55lb brown malt
.35lb caramel 10
.35lb caramel 120
.25lb pale chocolate

Mash at 154

25IBU Pearle @ 60m
10IBU Saaz @ 30m

Ferment at 68 with WLP001, Wy#1056, or SA-05.

Add 20ml (or to taste) hazelnut extract at bottling."

While Denny says

"Here it is. The hops listed as CFJ-90 are Centennial. At the time, they were so new they didn't have a name yet! Chris woin them as a proze at a homebrew comp. This was the official beer at NHC that year, and Chris brewed and bottled it all himself! It was also where he met John Maier....John liked the beer and the rest is history. Chris's pic is on the bottle (around here, we call it "Bald Guy Brown") and since then John has brewed a couple other of his recipes.

7lb 2-Row
2lb Browned 2-Row*
1/2lb 120L Crystal
1/2lb 20L Crystal
1/2tsp Gypsum
1/2oz CFJ-90 (11% Alpha)
1338 Alt Yeast

Modified step mash: 120F - 20 min.
156F - 90 min.

*375F - 2-Row Malt 40 min, In Oven
12/22/92 - Rack to 2nd; Add Nut Flavor
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.014
IBU:27"

Well, all I can tell you is that I got that recipe from a club newsletter and that it came from Chris himself. You can't get any more authentic and original than that! If that other recipe came from Rogue, it must have been after the beer was Rogue-ized.

What Hazelnut Extract did you end up using and where did you find it? I can't seem to find Hazelnut Extract anywhere except on amazon which gets terrible reviews.

Does anyone know if using Nottingham, instead of US-05, Wyeast 1056, or WLP001, with the BYO extract recipe will have any adverse effects?

Thanks for any feedback!

Back