Thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
Has anyone used an aquarium thermometer in their primary? I got one one off of amazon after my digital probe thermometer stopped working. I figured since it is submersible it should work fine. It is good down to 14 fahrenheit and I can use another thermometer up to 250.

Might be difficult to read it in a fermenter, particularly when the yeast are very active. It's gonna get mucked up with the krausen and whatnot. No harm in giving it a try though. Why not just get a stick on LCD type? They are cheap enough not to break the bank.

Might be difficult to read it in a fermenter, particularly when the yeast are very active. It's gonna get mucked up with the krausen and whatnot. No harm in giving it a try though. Why not just get a stick on LCD type? They are cheap enough not to break the bank.

This is actually a digital one that has a probe on the end of a wire that you can submerse and the display is kept dry. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get the wire out of the fermenter and keep it air tight.

sgoehner said:
This is actually a digital one that has a probe on the end of a wire that you can submerse and the display is kept dry. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get the wire out of the fermenter and keep it air tight.

Seems like a small hole through the stopper sealed with silicone would do the trick.

Can you post pics or a link to the product?

IMO, you're over-complicating things. The stick-on thermometer strips do a fine job of telling what temp the fermenting wort is at. If you decide to make a fermentation chamber, use it to check the temperature there, against the controller.

I recently picked up a digital (claims to be waterproof too) thermometer with a long probe/connection (10')... I plan to use this to keep a better watch on my mash temps when not right in front of the mash tun. I just hope 10' is enough length so that I can position it where I want to.

Back