You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your one car garage has no room for a car but you have two chest freezers and two fridges, and only one of them is for food. Two are temp controlled fermenting chambers and one has a shelf of washed yeast, and hops for recipes in the lineup!!

You think the difference between a good brewery and a great brewery is how easy the labels soak off.

You have given yourself whiplash turning on the sink.

When your mini kegerator breaks and won't hold pressure, you find yourself drinking as much of the chilled mini keg that you tapped as quickly as possible before it goes flat.

And then, the next day, finish it off even though it *has* gone completely flat, because you'd rather drink your own flat homebrew than something you have to go out and buy.

And then, while you're waiting for your replacement regulator and hoses to come in, you realize that all of your mini-kegs are empty because you put your last batch entirely in bottles because the kegerator wasn't working, and realize...

Darn! I'm going to have to buy a mini-keg of commercial beer to at least test the unit once the replacement parts come in.

Oh! Forgot one.

When you own about 10 empty mini-kegs, all DAB Dortmunder Export, not because you particularly like the beer (though don't dislike it at all), but because those are the only mini-kegs the local BevMo sells that have the reusable rubber, as opposed to plastic, bungs, that can be refilled and tapped on your mini kegerator.

You realize that the enemy of a popular game series for the XBox screams "Wort, Wort, Wort" and suddenly you die (in game of course) because you fell out of your chair laughing as your brain makes the connection. Proof that even game designers/script writers are homebrewers. ( I don't care if it actually was the words "Go,GO,GO" played backwards.)

when you see something like this and, unlike a normal person who thinks, "forecast must be for snow; the sand trucks are out," you think, "how many gallons you think that holds, because that would make an AWESOME fermenter"

(answer: 194 gallons. and pic was taken back in March, so there's no snow coming. we were on our way back from my birthday lunch at Dogfish Head Alehouse)

IMG_8339.jpg

When your "beer" fridge looks like this! Washe yeast, hops, vodka for making infusions and commercial beers for "research"

This looks about right. Top shelf is yeast and beer Brewing ingredients. Shelf 2 is field research. Shelf 3 is my brew. Bottom shelves are for swill beer for parties and soda. In fridge 2 hides all my fermenting or lagering brews B-)

Really?!? Wow! My top shelf is my hard cider, yeast, vodka and hops for kits in the lineup with jus one type of commercial beer. Shelf two, "field research" and homebrew, sodas on the door, with bud light in one bottom drawer and high gravity "field research" in the other. Is this pretty much "industry standard"??!? I have a deep chest for lagering carboys and storing bottled homebrews (its sitting at 38 with 11 gallons of Oktoberfest right now) and an upright freezer for primary fermentation.

When you get up earlier to brew than you do for work.

When you've put in a solid 18 hour day of work in the name of beer.

When you walk into your LHBS on a day they're really busy, and the owner who addresses you by first name stops what he's doing to open up to unused register so he can bullsh!t with you a few minutes and get you to the front of the line in front of all the more occasional brewers.

biohaz7331 said:
When you drive the car to work Instead of the truck to save money for more fermenters and brew kits.(The truck is so much more fun to drive though). )

+1 except riding the bike instead of driving the truck. LOVE the truck, but pushing the pedals not only helps save money for brewing, but also makes me feel less guilty about all the home brew consumption.

wilsojos said:
When you use brown lunch bags to disguise the beer you share with your coworkers. And, you park somewhere that you can hand off empty bottles and brewing equipment to fellow brewing coworkers where the surveillance cameras won't see you.

HA! Definitely have been on both sides of this transaction.

When your coworkers are throwing a party and the room goes instantly quite as they wait in suspense to see if your going to supply the beer.

You get legitimately upset with yourself when you realize you don't have any homebrew in the fridge, only stupid ol Guinness (grumblegrumble)

...and then promptly console yourself by having a Guinness :D

...when you briefly consider dumping a few bottles of that Sam Adams Summer Ale in order to make room for a few bottles of your latest batch. Of course you don't but you were this close to breaking a beer commandment.

Back