$20.25 mash tun!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Hello all!! About a month ago I happened on a 5 gallon rubbermaid round cooler at Wal Mart for 15 bucks on clearance. I bought it with the intention of using it for a mini mash vessel or mash tun for smaller 5 gal batches of 6% and lower beers. Today I struck out to get the parts but stopped by the homebrew store first for some ideas. I had taken the spout out so I could find the right fitting stuff. While the LHBS guy was helping someone with their stuff I was just browsing stuff I have looked at a million times before and saw some smaller sized bungs. Then I saw some wimpy looking food grade plastic valves. I'm sure you could see the wheels turning in my head(yes, driven by the alcoholic 3 legged hampster on his rusty wheel) as I grabbed up a $.75 bung and placed it in the hole and jammed the $2.00 valve in it I felt smart... for once... LOL!!! Went to LOWES and got 2 feet of soft 1/4" copper for $2.50. Bent it up and cut slots in it with my dremmel and now I have a 5 gallon mash tun!!!:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: The el-cheapo valve leaks about 1/16oz of liquid ever hour, no biggie, though it's enough to warrent some kind of drip catcher under it when I use it. Anyhow, bought 10 lbs of grains. Got to go play with my new toy! Catch ya all later!

I could full boil 14 gallons of wort if I had need. Got a Keggle and THIS
bayou classic burner. I wish I could have afforded the Stainless Steel version of it. Paint stinks when it burns off.....:drunk:

Back