Chest freezer fermentation chamber for 2+ carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
Been reading the forums a lot, learning a lot, and also spending a lot, heh. I've brewed one all grain batch and am already hooked.

I'm ready to put some money into making a fermentation chamber where I can keep the temps more stable. This last time around, I had a hell of a time keeping it consistent. The temps were almost 78/79 one morning during the vigorous part of fermentation and I'm just not cool with that. I want an environment where I can "set it and forget it". I don't want to put a lot of time and energy and money into brewing if having inconsistent ferm temps are just going to affect my product anyway.

So, I think I'm mostly settled on getting a chest freezer for the garage. Given the space, and horizontal profile, I think it would be ideal for me.

I'm having a hell of a time finding the INSIDE dimensions of these chest freezers online so I know what size chest freezer can accommodate 2 glass 6 gallon carboys or better bottles (I currently only have 1 glass 6 gallon carboy and 1 glass 5 gallon carboy but like the idea of a lighter, less fragile vessel perhaps in the near future). Does anyone know of a particular model of chest freezer that can accommodate what I'm looking for?

I have read about using corny kegs as fermentation vessels but I don't have any kegging equipment (yet). I think a chest freezer to accommodate 2 (3 would be nice if the freezer itself isn't much bigger/more expensive) carboys for now is enough, and down the road if I move to cornies I'll just be able to fit even more of them in there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J

I got another used kegerator......its more expensive.... but no lifting over the side and more taps can be made available. I also heard that freezers have moisture problems because they are not built to maintain low temps...
the cheapest ....and best solution is to get a cheap fridge off craigs list

Ps make sure to get the digital johnson controls......I think its alot better

A kegerator is basically a mini fridge, in which case, I'd only be able to fit 1 carboy in there, no? Or did you mean, get a couple mini fridges/kegerators and then I can fit 2 carboys (or multiple corny kegs)? Do you ferment in corny kegs?

I have the GE 7cf chest freezer, and it will fit two ale pales or two six gallon better bottles. I also have the johnson controller for it.

Can you provide the model # please?

Model # FCM7SUWW

Bought it from Home depot. I can fit a 6 and a 5 in it (I don't have two 6s). If you're able to take measurements/size cutouts of the bottom of your pales/carboys to the store it will make it easier to size the freezers. You might bring it home and find out both don't fit.

Good call. I will do that, thanks for the info! This model is currenlty $198 at Home Depot. I think this might be the best bang for the buck.

Model # FCM7SUWW

Bought it from Home depot. I can fit a 6 and a 5 in it (I don't have two 6s). If you're able to take measurements/size cutouts of the bottom of your pales/carboys to the store it will make it easier to size the freezers. You might bring it home and find out both don't fit.

Yep thats the one.

Good call. I will do that, thanks for the info! This model is currenlty $198 at Home Depot. I think this might be the best bang for the buck.

See if you can find a coupon and also check lowes. If you can live with used check craigslist. Some areas of the country (especially big hunting areas) have good deals on craigslist. I went new because down here people are greedy and they expect 150 dollars on a 5 year old item that was 200 when they bought it.

I have a 7cf freezer as well but wired in a canco dual stage temp controler. with a heating pad inside. That way it can warm or cool down when it needs to. the part # is ETC 2111-000.

My guess is that practically any 7cu ft freezer will be able to fit two carboys. That's what I have - some piece of junk I got on craigslist. One of the carboys has to sit on the compressor hump, and I had to build a collar to raise the lid up.

My collar was one of the worst things I've ever built. The angles are definitely not 45* and I just wrenched them closed as best as I could with some screws. Still, it works fine for keeping temps... maybe a little energy lost.

I definitely recommend the chest freezer route over building a chamber - I love being able to easily crash a beer down to 32* after fermentation. Plus you can use it as a fridge when it's not fermenting!

I have that same GE 7CF freezer; they are $189 at Sam's Club and will hold two of the Ale Pales just fine

So I found a chest freezer on craigslist today for $100 delivered. The guy just dropped it off. Seems to be in working order, although I'll need to run it and test to make sure. He was a young guy with a family so I figure it's all good. Not bad for $100. It fits 2 6 gallon carboys and has enough clearance for the carboy cap + double bubble airlocks. score!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...384762390702_827240701_17215057_7112166_n.jpg

julian81, clean your inbox! haha

i was going to PM you this
hey saw your post about a chest freezer you recently bought. looking for one myself. could you list the model that you got? and if it's not too much trouble, could you snap a picture of the inside with 2 carboys? Realistically i'd like it to fit 2 6.5 gallon boys.

Hey, my inbox is clear now, sorry. With the standard account you only get 5 messages! crazy.

Anyway, I'll get the model # tonight for you. It was a rather obscure model though. When I bought I looked for it and could only find it on sears' outlet/repair website for replacement parts, but no actual description of what size it is.

I'm sure you could fit 2 6.5 gallon carboys in there no problem, as I can fit 2 6 gallon carboys and there's still space between them. I can snap a pic no prob. I'll do that tonight.

I have the GE 7cf chest freezer, and it will fit two ale pales or two six gallon better bottles. I also have the johnson controller for it.

Do they both fit in the recessed part of the fridge or do you have to balance one on the hump?

FYI, I know there's a keezer thread here that has tons of chest freezers on it and how many cornies you can fit in them. I recall seeing that the GE 7ft^3 freezer can fit less cornies than the Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft freezer. If down the line you want to turn your ferment chamber into a keezer you may want to also consider the MC. Just a thought.

Sorry to necro this thread, but I am collecting gear to make a controlled fermentation unit and the GE 7 cf freezer recommend in this thread (Model FCM7SUWW) is on sale now at Home Depot for $178 with free delivery. There's also a $10 off $100 code you can use online (RWBHD10). Seems like a pretty good deal for a new freezer.

Back