New recipe, NEED HELP!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsbrew

Reaction score
I have had an idea for a recipe but I just need to know how to do it. I am wanting to use fresh ingrediants and either do a partial mash or maybe even and extract. Heres the idea;
An Amber ale with fresh pumpkin, pecans, and cinnamon.
My grain bill will be 1/2 lb chocolate malt and 1/4 pund Carapils 20/20.

Eitehr I want to do this with ligth extract or maybe even amber. Or just regular base malt. this will be for a 6 gallon batch with maybe a 90 min boil time. How should I handle the fresh pumpkin, pecans, and cinnamon? Ideas gentlemen! Also, any other ideas would be appreciated!

When most people use nuts, they put them in the mash. That's what Abita does. Since you're not doing a mash, I think the only way to get some pecan flavor is with an extract (does that exist?).

As for a pumpkin beer made as an extract batch, your only option is to add it directly to the boil. My only advice is to expect a mess, and expect to lose a good bit of wort because it will be absorbed by the pumpkin.

For cinnamon flavor, add a tablespoon at the beginning of the boil, and another tablespoon in the last 10 minutes. That's a pretty average amount of cinnamon for a pumpkin beer.

I might be making too big of an assumption here, but do you want this beer to have the sweetness of pumpkin pie? If so, you'll need some crystal malt, and will want to significantly tone down the chocolate malt. For a sweeter beer, here's a basic recipe:

6# light DME
1-2# crystal malt (any mixture of colors will be fine)
.5# carapils (for some body)
.5# aromatic (for some toast)

For a less sweet and more roasty beer, try this:

6# DME
.5-1# crystal
4-6oz chocolate malt
carapils could be added if you want some of that thickness

It might be a little late in the season to make a pumpkin beer but if you don't mind drinking autumn beers in the winter I say go for it!

Now is there a way to to maybe use the pumkin in a mash? or even in a mash bag in the wort boil to save on the mess?

take the pumpkin, boil it separately, sieve it through a fine strainer, then use it as part of your sparge water. basically you will be making 'pumpkin water' that you add to your beer.

When I make my pumpkin beers, I put canned pumpkin into my mash. If this would be your first all grain, I would not recommend doing this. But if you have some mashing experience, I definitely think this is the easiest way to incorporate pumpkin into your beer.

I was thinking of roasting the nuts and pumpkin together @350 til toasty. Then adding it with the specialty grain for 60 min @ 152*. Strain it however is possible. I don't think you'll get any hot side aeration.

How long would you boil the pumkin for? And how much would be sufficient for a 5-6 gal batch?

Back