Trademark Conflict with Republic of Texas Brewery :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnymax

Reaction score
Well, I am glad I paid for a trademark search, It appears that they let somebody trademark "The Republic of Texas" so, I had to put the licensing paperwork on hold and come up with a new name. I had the new name trademark searched and I registered it. The new name is nowhere near as cool, but it describes the beers I will brew.

Something BIG is Brewing in Texas, the
"Texas Big Beer Brewery"™
:mug:

Heading to Kentucky to get my two 10 barrel tanks tomorrow :ban:

In England you can still go by the building that used to be the Texas Embassy. Since Republic of Texas is wrapped up, maybe something in the neighborhood of Texas Embassy Brewery would have done?

Either way, congratulations on the identity!

Trademark searching is money well spent, but it's too bad the one you wanted was already taken. Saves you having to redesign all your marketing materials down the line when you get that cease and desist letter ;)

In England you can still go by the building that used to be the Texas Embassy. Since Republic of Texas is wrapped up, maybe something in the neighborhood of Texas Embassy Brewery would have done?

Either way, congratulations on the identity!

yup, The Texas Embassy was the first thing that came to my mind too. So, it's not there any more? I can't say it's a shame. Full of the worst kids of tourists it was. ;)

Don't take this advice because I don't know anything about trademarks or business really. Would calling your brewery, "The Republic of Texas Brewing Co." make the name not be trademarked?

Don't take this advice because I don't know anything about trademarks or business really. Would calling your brewery, "The Republic of Texas Brewing Co." make the name not be trademarked?

You could always just change the spelling. We have "Apple Sourz" (more expensive stuff) and "Apple Sours" (penniless chav version.)

general troublemaker, talks like a pillock, usually ends up with a child without a relationship, lives in a council estate. see below.

done.

chav.JPG

asbo_chav.jpg

chav5.jpg

Looks like a restaurant beat you to the TM in class 32 to brand their bottled water.

Well, I talked to the guy who owned the trade mark "The Republic of Texas" and he said not too long ago, there was a few clothing stores that open called th Republic of Texas. He said it took them about 5 months but they got the stores "CLOSED DOWN"

I don't want somebody taking me to court trying to close me down, my pocets are not deep enough to win. So the brewery is now called the\

"Texas Big Beer Brewery"
:ban:

I am not sure you would have any trademark problems. The big question in trademark infringement is whether there is a likelihood of confusion. If you run with "Republic of Texas Brewery" and someone else runs with "Republic of Texas Dog Grooming Center," I don't think there's much likelihood of confusion--do you expect dog groomers to run breweries? Would you associate one with another?

(Disclaimer - I am not your attorney, we don't have an attorney-client relationship, and this isn't a legal opinion on which you would be reasonably expected to rely--please consult with counsel when making business decisions.)

Like I said earlier, though, I did a perfunctory search through trademarks and didn't see anything that set off any alarm bells.

Back