Kit wine, fermenting time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a kit wine in and it says fermenting should be done in around 7-10 days. It's been in nearly 3 weeks now and I still have airlock activity.
I know it's temperature dependant and it is a little lowerthan suggested.

Should I leave it or is it worth me checking the gravity?

Primary should be 7 to 10 days and then a transfer to the secondary vessel depending on sg of it. Check your gravity and and compare to the manufactors directions. Temp being lower than 70f on kits will increase the the time greatly, will also make a gassy wine, co2 will stay in solution.

I've never made wine, but if it's still actively fermenting, why move it? You know that it's not done, so I don't see any benefit in taking a reading at this point. I'd be afraid that if you racked it, it wasn't done, and the temps were a bit low, it might have a hard time getting started up again.

There is usually a specific gravity suggestion in kit wines. Once your at or below the s.g. listed, rack to secondary, don't top up at this time. Fermentation will continue in the secondary for a couple weeks.

DrtDoctor

Yup, just follow the kit directions. If the SG is right, just rack as instructed.

Leave it! My first reisling kit took over 2 months in the primary to ferment to the instructed specific gravity.

Back