Cider not fully fermented after 6 weeks, :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehbeast87

Reaction score
So I started my cider 6 weeks ago this coming wednesday. I decided to check the gravity and it is only sitting at 1.040, down from 1.080. My ending was suppose to be around 1.010-1.020 and then I was going to age it some more. I did notice that it was still bubbling a little bit, not enough to make the airlock bubble though. Just wondering if anyone has any input as to why its going sort of slow? Thanks

- Ethan

So I started my cider 6 weeks ago this coming wednesday. I decided to check the gravity and it is only sitting at 1.040, down from 1.080. My ending was suppose to be around 1.010-1.020 and then I was going to age it some more. I did notice that it was still bubbling a little bit, not enough to make the airlock bubble though. Just wondering if anyone has any input as to why its going sort of slow? Thanks

- Ethan

What yeast and what temperature has it been sitting at?

How big of a batch was it? Larger batches take longer.

Also, cider sometimes needs yeast nutrients, so I would add some of that to get it going again.

How were you planning on stopping it a 1.010-1.020? Cold crashing? Cider wants to go lower than 1.000 and will do so.

I did taste it, its lacking a bit. Still a bit cloudy too. I did a 1 gallon test batch. I used yeast nutrient at the beginning and actually added some more. I did plan on cold crashing if it were low enough.

try racking it and just wait for it to clear. when it does, it's done. if you already used yeast nutrient and it's having fermentation problems then could you possibly be dealing with some chemical or additive to the initial liquor that's hurting the yeast? did you use store bought apple juice that was maybe treated with preservatives?

again... rack and see what happens.

btw - what exactly did you use to start the batch?

Did you remember to oxygenate before pitching? How old was the yeast?

If there was a preservative in your base cider (sorbic acid, etc), the yeast wouldn't have taken at all. I've lost two ciders that way.

from my experience, it's a good idea to oxygenate cider at the very start of fermentation. the oxygen helps get the yeast going and is very quickly removed after fermentation begins. if you don't oxygenate that's fine but i've never met another cyder maker who doesn't.

Back