Recipe advice; dark and hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Local42

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of doing something different for my next batch. I know there are a couple commercial brews calling themselves Black IPAs and my recipe is loosely based on one of them and the ingredients I have on hand.

I'm using the same malts as their recipe (wish I could remember the name of the brew right now) but I'm planning to just use the hops I have on hand.

What would you tweak?

6gal batch
13lbs 2 row
1lbs Special Roast
0.75lbs Carafa III
0.5lbs Crystal 10
first wort 1oz each cascade, simcoe, citra
20min 1 oz each cascade, simcoe, citra
0min 1 oz each cascade, simcoe, citra

I'm guessing I'll hit about 7% and 80IBU. I'm just sure my malts need to be adjusted and my hops aren't the most complimentary. I'm looking for more smoky malt flavor than an IPA but I want to keep the hop flavor of an IPA.

I kind of have to use the cascade as I've got a quarter acre of hops growing and I want to use up last years harvest now while I have time to perfect a couple brews to use this years harvest on.

I do like hops with that pine or "cat pee" (according to some) smell and flavor. Makes me wonder why I'm growing cascade.

If you want a smoky flavor, I'd suggest using Rauch malt, rather than Special Roast.

So you don't think my ratios are off or I will horribly regret my choice of malt I assume from your replies? I guess I'm just worried this will turn out disgusting. I do, however feel good about my choices and it is loosely based on a commercial brew that gets decent reviews so I know I'm on the right track but I am not confident in my knowledge of malts and hops yet.

david_42,
So I got the idea of substituting a few oz of Rauch malt for the special roast. That's one to kick around. I'll have to see what the LHBS has in stock. I was just looking at malts I had on hand. No reason I can't buy something else.

permo,
As far as Chocolate malt are you suggesting to use it in place of the special roast as well? That was one recipe idea I was kicking around but I don't have any on hand. Once again I guess there isn't anything stopping me from picking some up.

Realistically I wont be brewing for at least another two weeks. I've still got to finish the new brew stand and give it a dry run to see what kinks need to be worked out of my system before I go wasting malt and the last of my hops.

Back