Anyone Knowledgeable Re: Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
In an effort to isolate problems with my one medicinal beer and to make sure I get no repeats, I'm investigating my tap water.

The problem is, I might as well be looking at the blue prints for building my own time machine. I have no idea what all the numbers actually mean.

It says my water is hard, which I believe is actually good for brewing, correct?

My main interest is in the chlorine content, chloramine, etc.

Would someone be willing to take a quick look at these particulars and let me know if I fall in the normal range for brewing?

http://www.wsscwater.com/info/TapAnalysis05.pdf

It would be much appreciated. My water comes from the Potomac, not the Patuxent.

Funny, I've had the same concerns with my local tap water (it tastes good, but it's some of the most dangerous tap water in the U.S. supposedly, and the city just started some new treatment process to lessen the risks of cancer). Having as much knowledge of water chemistry as you do, I went to Walmart and bought six 1 gallon containers of spring water. I just racked that batch last night, and it smelled pretty sour when I opened the primary, so who knows if going the store bought water route was worth it or not. I remain cautiously optimistic, although the sour blast wasn't very encouraging.

I didn't have time to read your water report and I doubt I could understand all of it. Some brewers add a campden tablet to their water to get rid of chloramine or chloride. You might research it a bit.
Edit for poor spelling.

Back