When Hobbies Collide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
A scant few people here know that my other hobby is HO scale model railroading. I have a brewery on my train layout (every good train layout needs a brewery!). Well, I was quite jacked to see that a company is coming out with an HO scale hop farm! Makes me wish I modeled the Pacific Northwest! The same company already has an HO scale barley field.

Just thought I'd share.

It's funny, too, that the company that makes these is:

buschrot.gif

1:87 scale? Doesn't Busch use 1/87th the amount of hops that a real beer uses, too?

Cheesefood said:
I hear there's already a shortage and many Home Railroad Supply shops are running out.

Dammit, Fromage, you made me laugh at my computer. I hate that! :cross:

I like the larger N gauge (I think) Lionel stuff, personally. My dad still has his set from the late 40's, and it still goes up around the Christmas tree every year.

bird said:
1:87 scale? Doesn't Busch use 1/87th the amount of hops that a real beer uses, too?

I believe that's correct! And with all the doom & gloom about hop shortages, this HO scale field may be the biggest amount of hops you'll see for awhile!

Uncle Argyle said:
I've always wanted to do a nice HO layout, but alas i have way too many hobbies. Got any pictures of your layout?

Actually, I'm in the process of moving and my layout of seven years is being dismantled. I hope to be workng on a brand new one this Spring. But I do have pictures of the old one and I'll be incorporating parts of it into the new layout! Here are a few...

Cargill_Tanks.jpg

Lot_After_A1.jpg

Girls_Under_Bridge.jpg

Sp2.jpg

Cheesefood said:
Damn...that's a sweet Angelfire logo you got there.
Hmmm... I can see them. May have to migrate them during lunchtime. Sit tight...

EDIT: Okay, should be fixed now. Let me know if not.

Chairman Cheyco said:
... I like the larger N gauge (I think) Lionel stuff, personally. My dad still has his set from the late 40's, and it still goes up around the Christmas tree every year.

Lionel is O scale. HO is half that size (Half of O-scale) and N is half the size of HO!

Dude said:
OMFG, that roolz!!!!

I didn't see a hop farm, but I saw a ho farm, somewhere near the bridge.

You really want women who hang out under the bidge to bathe? Me thinks that you can run a train down the tracks on their arms.

Cheesefood said:
You really want women who hang out under the bidge to bathe? Me thinks that you can run a train down the tracks on their arms.
OMG, that made me laugh out loud here at work! :D Gives a whole new outlook on the term "trolls under the bridge".

Chairman Cheyco said:
... What does the N stand for? Needs to be bigger?
:D No, nine millimeters wide (across the axles, wheel to wheel)! "Needs to be bigger" would be Z Scale, which is only 6.5 mm wide!

olllllo said:
First n00b question:

I'm brewing an IIPA. How many pipe cleaners do I need?...

Yeah, it looks like that's all it is, now that you mention it. With green spray paint applied! You'd just need to store some fresh hops under the layout to give it some aroma!

I never set foot into JoAnn Fabrics store until I took up model railroading.

Rhoobarb said:
I never set foot into JoAnn Fabrics store until I took up model railroading.

I never did either until I started making poker tables to sell - but I digress, that's a different topic altogether.

I respect the patience that it must take to become a serious model RR'er. I don't think I could ever be quite that detailed, and if I were I'd always be worried about one of the kids breaking something.

ohiobrewtus said:
...and if I were I'd always be worried about one of the kids breaking something.

I think that may be why a lot of guys really get into it big-time after they retire and the kids are out of the house!;)

For me, a perfect Saturday can be as simple as having a good brew session and ducking into the train room afterward, running some trains and having some homebrew!

Latest posts

Back