Gonna get slammed for posting this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontiercdk

Reaction score
I have done a little reserch on the subject of pasteurization and found most advice given is the basically same:

"its dumb, dont do it!"
or
" there is really nothing to gain, dont do it!"
or
" you will ruin the taste, dont do it!"
or
"you lose your ABV, dont do it!"

The common thread between all of these advice givers was they had never done it themselves!

This process was originally developed to lengthen the shelf life of beer or to stop unwanted fermentation. I dont care about maximizing shelf life i just want to stop unwanted fermentation as mentioned at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pasteurization

I want to "back sweeten" some beer for the wife using a little frozen juice concentrate (cheeeeep!). What I would like to do is after fermentation is complete transfer the beer back into my sanke keg, add the juice, put the lid on it heat it to the proper temp then let it cool, force carbonate and be done.

My questions are:

What temp?
How long?
How much pressure will be created during the process (I have tested my kegs and weld at 50psi)?

You could use chemical means to stop fermentation and keep all the taste you would lose if you pasteurize. Wine makers routinely use potassium sorbate for this purpose.

From what I hear, pasteurizing is most useful for people who want to back sweeten and bottle condition. In a keg, you don't need the yeast to carbonate, but you also don't need heat to stop fermentation.

Sorry about not speaking to your question. I have no experience with pasteurization. I just thought I would provide an alternative that might be easier to do than heat up 5 gallons of beer.

I didn't read your post, but you're doing it wrong.
When you title a new post, always use the subject, not some random statement.
Try to avoid going on and on about stupid ****.

I'm confused. The reason you want to pasteurize is so you can back sweeten some beer? Wouldn't be much easier to just add some juice to your beer right when you drink it? It is essentially the same end product.

I have done a little reserch on the subject of pasteurization and found most advice given is the basically same:

"its dumb, dont do it!"
or
" there is really nothing to gain, dont do it!"
or
" you will ruin the taste, dont do it!"
or
"you lose your ABV, dont do it!"

The common thread between all of these advice givers was they had never done it themselves!

This process was originally developed to lengthen the shelf life of beer or to stop unwanted fermentation. I dont care about maximizing shelf life i just want to stop unwanted fermentation as mentioned at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pasteurization

I want to "back sweeten" some beer for the wife using a little frozen juice concentrate (cheeeeep!). What I would like to do is after fermentation is complete transfer the beer back into my sanke keg, add the juice, put the lid on it heat it to the proper temp then let it cool, force carbonate and be done.

My questions are:

What temp?
How long?
How much pressure will be created during the process (I have tested my kegs and weld at 50psi)?

I'm gonna put a huge IDK on that, but have fun with the project & let us know how it goes!

I back-sweetened a cider without pasteurization. The keg temps kept it from fermenting the juice.

I have pastuerized a cider which I back sweetened. If not done carefully it CAN be dangerous. The reason it is dangerous is that pressurized glass bottles can explode, which happened to me, but fortunately the lid to the kettle was on. I got my water to 170, and let the bottle sit for 10 minutes. I found a link of here somewhere about flash pastuerizing saying what temp for how long. 130 for 20 min or something, and up to 200 it was only a few seconds. Don't take this for fact. Just from memory. It was easy for me because I knew the bottles would be up to about 170 in ten min but your sanke would take a long time to get there.

All this to say you can carb your keg with co2 tanks, like you do anyways, and don't need to pastuerize after being in the bottle. I'd recommend just using chems and do what you always do. Also, I'd guess keezer temps would prevent muh fermentation anyways

Adding sorbate and sulfite is much easier than pasteurization. But as others have mentioned, adding lactose or other unfermentables would do the trick too.

Thanks for all the feed back! I think I will go with the chemical route. That will be easier and WAY safer!

As for the comments made by ACID rain, "chill out dude!". This is suposed to be a friendly site.

I didn't read your post, but you're doing it wrong.
When you title a new post, always use the subject, not some random statement.
Try to avoid going on and on about stupid ****.

WTF is your problem? You need to relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back