Regulator Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamWS

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hoping to get some advice from some folks who know more about these things than I do. I've been kegging for about 2 yrs but admittedly don't know as much as I probably should about draft systems.

Basically, my CO2 tank with regulator attached fell over the other day and the regulator took a small knock. Ever since, the regulator seems to initially jump to a higher pressure than it's set to and, at the same time expels a lot of CO2 from the small hole that is at about 1 o'clock in relation to pressure adjustment screw. If I turn off the gas it continues to slowly vent from that hole until it settles about where I have it set.

Anybody have any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks

I would just take it apart and see if anything looks damaged. what brand regulator is it?

So I just got around to taking it apart. Nothing looked broken or out of place so I put it back together. Now it works fine.

I still have no clue what was wrong but I guess something got jostled and slightly misaligned when it fell over.

I have a regulator that will go down to 0 on the output after being set to 12 psi. This only seems to happen when I am initially force carbing a beer. Is this normal? Usually I will bump it back up to 12 when I notice and it will stay there just fine.

Are you leaving the gas on? If so then it should stay at 12 psi. If you're turning the gas off then the pressure will drop as the beer absorbs the CO2.

The gas does stay on. If this item is faulty that will be the third faulty item in the same order. I've had to return a shank and a leaky nitro regulator.

Since you're leaving the gas on then I guess I don't really know what you mean when you say you "bump it back up to 12." Could you clarify (not saying I'll necessarily have any answers, though)?

Sure thing.

I have a double body regulator. I always leave the CO2 tank on when connected to the regulator, and I pretty much leave the setting on both outputs at 12psi. I have found that when first carbing a beer, the needle of the output on the regulator will go down to 0psi (after being set to 12psi), I then move it back up to 12psi and it seems to stay there until I finish off that keg. Hopefully I did a better job explaining this time.

Back