Aunt Flow's Bloody Beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
So, my lady keeps putting clamato in her grain belt, and being the people pleaser I am, i thought i'd try and brew a light ale while clamato in it. Not sure about a lot of these steps, but I think it'll work. My main concern is adding the clamato to the bottles at bottling. I felt this was the best way to infuse the clamato without compromising the beer primary fermentation. I won't be brewing for a couple weeks, but I thought i'd share this and see what you all think! thanks!

========================================================

Aunt Flow's Bloody Beer recipe

2 gallons MR BEER kegs for primary and secondary

full volume boil- start with 3 gallons water.

steep 1lb Rahr Premium Pislner crushed till water reached 170 degrees
remove and drain

stir in 3.15 Northern Brewer Pilsen Malt Syrup

bring to boil

add 1oz willamette whole hops (60 min)
add 1/2oz Crystal pellet hops (30 min)
add 1/2oz Crystal pellet hops (15 min)

rehydrate 2 grams Mr Beer Brewing Yeast

2 weeks primary

at secondary top volume loss with clamato

2 weeks secondary

bottling day-

1/5cup white sugar boiled with 4oz water, then cooled

add 1/2oz of clamato to each bottle when filling

carbonate for 2 weeks at room temperature

cold condition for 2 weeks

haha my lady agreed. i recently brewed a batch for my buddy's birthday called Bruce's Brown Eye P A that was a black ipa. disgusting names is kind of my thing. by vienna lager was called Brick **** House. it's just what I do. it's my little way of trying to keep my friend's from raiding my home brew.

Just wondering if you considered the sugar content of the Clamato when you calculate your priming sugar amount? It almost certainly contains sugar, so I think it would be good to figure out how much and if it is fermentable to avoid bottle bombs.

to be honest- that's why I posted this thread. i want to make sure it comes out red and the clamato taste is present, but i didn't know if it would cause any problems. i'll check it out and update you. i'm not brewing it any time real soon so i wanna flesh this out before i take the dive and try it.

This is no offence to TC or his skills, but the idea of clamato in beer makes me want to vomit.

hey man- it's for my lady. rack up the brownie points when you don't need 'em. that's my motto. and it'll be fun to brew- regardless if I drink it or not. I've got 5 gallons of a Winter Spiced Ale and 5 gallons of Caribou Slobber on deck right now. my taste buds are satisfied. may as well try to satisfy hers as well.

i would think the clamato needs to be refrigerated let alone if it contains sulfites, it will stop yeast growth...just something to think about when your carbing them up
shes got the right idea "mixing" it out of the bottle. This is the way they do it in mexico and seems like it would give you the most flavor.
Brew a light lager or cream ale with 2-3 jalepenos OR 1 habenero as a spicy base for the Bloody beer

thanks for all the great comments. i'm ordering the ingredients this week and hope to brew sunday (10/27/12). I chatted with the northern brewer dudes on the live chat and I have made some adjustments.

the hop additions raised the IBU too much, so to balance things out, I am going with the following-

1/4oz Willamette Whole Hop (60min)
1/4oz Willamette Whole Hop (20min)

Being that this is a two gallon batch- he said that will help balance things without it coming out bitter.

in response to adding clamato to the bottle:

there are 10 grams of sugar in 1 liter of clamato. this is small enough to not cause any problems.
the sulfite question is one to take into consideration, but i'm gonna roll the dice. it's 2 gallons, and meant to be an experiment.
i couldn't find anything on the bottle that says it contains them- so i'm gonna have faith in my yeast.

one last question before I order my ingredients would be yeast choice. I burned up my left over Mr Beer yeast on some cider/graff last weekend so I'll need to get at least 2 grams of some sort. any suggestions?

in response to adding clamato to the bottle:

there are 10 grams of sugar in 1 liter of clamato. this is small enough to not cause any problems.
the sulfite question is one to take into consideration, but i'm gonna roll the dice.

according to there website theres 9gms in 8 ozs...that makes 38.25 grams or 1.36 oz of sugar in 1 liter. Adjust accordingly, dont want bloody bombs after all this :rockin:

It shows MSG in the ingredients but i believe yeast will eat that up.

crazy- the liter i have in my hand right now says 10g/SERVING, which is 8oz. so if i'm doing 2 gallons, with 1/2oz each- i should have about 24 12oz bottles- which will be 12oz overall- so we'll estimate high and say 120grams of sugar. it calls for 1.9oz of white sugar for a 2 gallon batch. that would make for 4.29oz of sugar in the bottle before adding white sugar for priming. if i cut the amount of clamato added to the bottle to 1/4oz, and skipped the priming sugar, that should work out to close enough to 2oz to make me happy. will the left over yeast react with the clamato to carbonate is the question.

crazy- the liter i have in my hand right now says 10g/SERVING, which is 8oz. so if i'm doing 2 gallons, with 1/2oz each- i should have about 24 12oz bottles- which will be 12oz overall- so we'll estimate high and say 120grams of sugar. it calls for 1.9oz of white sugar for a 2 gallon batch. that would make for 4.29oz of sugar in the bottle before adding white sugar for priming. if i cut the amount of clamato added to the bottle to 1/4oz, and skipped the priming sugar, that should work out to close enough to 2oz to make me happy. will the left over yeast react with the clamato to carbonate is the question.

your calculations are off...for one i thought you were using more than 1/2oz in each (you might not get much flavor from that, i would up it to an ounce if not more)

as to your calculations if your going to up it to an oz in each bottle that makes 24 ozs. which is only 30 grams of sugar (10gms in 8oz = 30gms in 24oz) your only looking at about an ounce of sugar so u would need to add another oz to get correct priming....if you use 1/2oz in each bottle you will only have 12 oz which is 15 grams or 1/2 oz so you will need to add 1.5oz of extra sugar to prime your batch

EDIT: if you use lager yeast for this batch you will need correct equipment for lagering and will take alot longer to bottle condition. I recommend a clean fermenting ale yeast like us-05, 001, 1056.

awesome! thank you very much! i'm gonna order the ingredients next week so I'll let you all know how it goes!

I second the recommendation to use an Ale yeast like S-05 which is inexpensive and ferments clean when kept in the low-mid 60's.

Talk about a disaster. So I brewed this drunk, went with the S-05 yeast rehydrated, pitched it waaaay too hot. Killed the yeast completely. After two weeks, a friend gave me a vial of German Lager Yeast, so I put it in the fridge after pitching that. It's fermenting for sure, but it tastes like sour green olives and garbage. I dry hopped it after 2 weeks in the fridge with 1/2oz Willamette leaf hops I had left over, and i'm waiting. I think I'm gonna bring it to room temperature and top my volume loss with clamatro thursday. Then one week of sitting and I'm just gonna bottle it and see what happens. If it tastes like clamato, i'm gonna use table sugar to prime. If it doesn't, then I'll measure out a proper amount of clamato and just roll with it. Experiments are good, but this is a couple batches in a row of things not going right, and then just adding **** and hoping for the best. The other lesson learned, that's all ready been learned, is never brew drunk. Start sober and have a beer or two, but don't be out with friends and plowed and say 'hey! let's all go back to my place! i've got a batch of beer to brew!'. simply stupid. i'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

They actually sell beer with clamato or tomato juice in it. It shows up in the coolers up here in the north from time to time. Its called chelada. My wife enjoys it as a morning drink. I like it but it's not on my list of must haves (I assume it would be a great hangover remedy but since I never get hungover I can't say if that's the case or not.:)

that's why I brewed it. I knew there was some way that AB has infused clamato in the can, and my lady loves her grain belt with clamato.

Back