What to brew next. . . .any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
Just finished brewing our forth batch. A dipa called pliny the elder all grain from morebeer.com. We are four for four on IPA's or DIPA's. And on each new batch we have upgraded our technique. From partial extract to all grain mash n sparge on the last. From bottling to kegging. If you can't tell, we love ipa's. If we were to change up our next recipe what style of beer should we brew next?

Maybe a barleywine, so you can experience the same(ish) alcohol content, but with taste based in malt not hops.

I like to have a variety of stuff on hand. I like an IPA if I'm eating a spicy meal. I like a stout after a big juicy steak and I'm in the mood for dessert. I'll have a saison if it's a hot day and I just want to quench a thirst. I'll drink a German lager if I'm just hanging out with the guys eating chips and pretzels.

I just love it all!

I am always puzzled by people asking strangers what type of beer they should brew next. Do you like any style of beer other than IPAs? If so, try one of them. If not, either brew another IPA or start buying different types of commercial beers until you find one you like and then brew one in that style. If I asked and someone recommended I brew a Belgian next, I am not going to like it even if everyone else thinks it's great; I just don't like that style of beer.

Read the guidelines for the different styles to see what sounds like you might like it and then ask if anyone has a good recipe or, better yet, check the recipe section of HBT. There are a ton of good recipes in the recipe section.

Finally, if you still can't make up your mind, pick a recipe from someone like BierMuncher or one of the other people on this site who consistently design great beers - look for the recipes with dozens, or even hundreds of responses like Centennial Blonde or Edwort's Apfelwein. If large numbers of homebrewers have brewed it and raved about it, it is probably a pretty good representation of that style.

Good luck ans have fun.

It's starting to get warm finally out here in socal, but not quite saison weather. How about a classic bavarian hefeweizen? That's my next batch.

You know, I thought about this too, and the last beer i ended up making was a session ipa. It is only like 3.2% abv, but it's nicely hopped and a GREAT summertime beer. It's really nice to drink at bbq's, since it's nice and hoppy like a classic ipa, but it doesnt have the weight to one. I drank an entire growler myself while playing baseball on memorial day, and i never felt full or even tipsy. Exactly what I was going for!

You know, I thought about this too, and the last beer i ended up making was a session ipa. It is only like 3.2% abv, but it's nicely hopped and a GREAT summertime beer. It's really nice to drink at bbq's, since it's nice and hoppy like a classic ipa, but it doesnt have the weight to one. I drank an entire growler myself while playing baseball on memorial day, and i never felt full or even tipsy. Exactly what I was going for!

I usually don’t get into the whole style guidelines thing, but that sounds more like a pale ale. What were the IBUs at? Don’t take the pale ale comment as a dig, I am actually really interested in what your recipe was, could you share it? It’s been one of my (and I’m sure a lot of other people’s) goals to make a low-ABV hoppy pale ale that smelled and tasted IPA-like but still had enough body to stand up to the hops. It’s very hard to get a good balance, every time I’ve tried it ends up tasting like hop-steeped tea.

One thing I’ve been thinking is mashing a little on higher side to gain some non-fermentables that will compete with the hops (if you do extract you can steep additional crystal grains or add maltodextrine or other). Maybe OG of around 1.042 or so. Use almost exclusively late hop additions to get to around 50-60 IBUs (this might be a little high). Use a yeast that doesn’t rip through sugar to try to get a FG of around 1.014 or so, you don’t want it drying out or it will turn out like the above-mentioned tea (trust me). That would come out to around 3.7 ABV and 140 calories per beer.

kpr121 said:
I usually don’t get into the whole style guidelines thing, but that sounds more like a pale ale. What were the IBUs at? Don’t take the pale ale comment as a dig, I am actually really interested in what your recipe was, could you share it? It’s been one of my (and I’m sure a lot of other people’s) goals to make a low-ABV hoppy pale ale that smelled and tasted IPA-like but still had enough body to stand up to the hops. It’s very hard to get a good balance, every time I’ve tried it ends up tasting like hop-steeped tea.

One thing I’ve been thinking is mashing a little on higher side to gain some non-fermentables that will compete with the hops (if you do extract you can steep additional crystal grains or add maltodextrine or other). Maybe OG of around 1.042 or so. Use almost exclusively late hop additions to get to around 50-60 IBUs (this might be a little high). Use a yeast that doesn’t rip through sugar to try to get a FG of around 1.014 or so, you don’t want it drying out or it will turn out like the above-mentioned tea (trust me). That would come out to around 3.7 ABV and 140 calories per beer.

I don't take it as a dig at all, I didn't really pay attention to the style guide lines of it. I suppose you couldn't just think of it as a really overhopped, light pale ale but the bitterness of it in my opinion puts it in an IPA category. I kind of wanted to go for a founders all day IPA type beer. I actually went the opposite route, and mashed pretty low. I mashed at about 150° to try to dry out a little bit so that the hop flavor and bitterness would shine through.

Here's the recipe:

Style: American IPA
Type: Calories: 129
Rating: 0.0 Efficiency: 65 %
IBU's: 81.67 Boil Size: 6.91 Gal
Color: 3.2 SRM Batch Size: 6.00 Gal
Boil Time: 84 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 04/29/2012
OG: 1.040 1.040
FG: 1.007 1.016
ABV: 4.32 % 3.14 %
Serve Date: 05/21/2012 05/25/2012

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F 04/29/2012 04/29/2012
Lager 7 days @ 40.0°F 05/13/2012 05/14/2012

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
7.30 lbs 67.41 % Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
2.92 lbs 26.96 % Briess Corn, Flaked, Yellow 60 mins 1.039
0.61 lbs 5.63 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.22 ozs 53.09 Simcoe 75 mins 13.00
0.61 ozs 6.51 Williamette 20 mins 5.50
0.61 ozs 3.90 Williamette 10 mins 5.50
0.61 ozs 9.36 Citra 10 mins 13.20
0.61 ozs 2.14 Williamette 5 mins 5.50
0.61 ozs 5.14 Citra 5 mins 13.20
0.37 ozs 0.67 Citra 1 mins 13.20
0.73 ozs 0.86 Amarillo Gold 1 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.2 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.22 tbsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil
0.61 tsp Yeast Nutrient 10 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion In 75 min @ 150.0°F
Add 17.33 qt ( 1.60 qt/lb ) water @ 162.0°F
Mashout 10 min @ 170.0°F
Heat to 170.0°F over 2 mins
Sparge
Sparge 15.35 qt of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
4.15 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 72.0°F 2.10

Notes
apparently, I did not aerate my wort enough. Due to warmer groundwater temperatures, I had to slow the the flow of wort coming through the pump which therefore did not aerate as much as normal, which is why I don't think it attenuated fully.
www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 1.500

Back