Newbie Here with some potential problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanselhoff

Reaction score
hey guys,

started a home brew on sunday and followed the coopers instructions..after 3 days when the fermentation stopped there was a lot of sedimentat the bottom...(did the fermentation fully occur) and some made it into the bottom of my bottles from the fermenter...i put the half TS into each of my bottles

is this good or bad

can or should i drink it

how can i filter the beer out when pouring glasses

Thanks

Sorry but what is "TS"?

After bottling and conditioning, there is usually some sediment in the bottles, yeast among other things. Some people drink it, in you case i would not. You can get a lot of this out by doing a secondary or longer primary fermentation.

If you pour carefully you can avoid this getting into your glass.

Table Spoon

so this sediment is somewhat normal like it looked like to me that some of the sugar didn't dissolve ...i used hot water and sturred for a while

im guessing it will be really weak beer

The sediment is most likely yeast settling at the bottom of the bottle. It won't hurt you, pretty high in vitamin B actually. You'll get used to when to stop pouring to avoid getting it in the glass.

The sediment is normal. It's yeast settling out of suspension. Unless you keg or filter you'll always get a little sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I drink it anyways because it prevents the hangover and bugs the SWMBO with the beerfarts!

Hey! Watch where you're bumping! you almost hit me! :p

You just started this beer on Sunday? If so you were a little quick and should have let it sit longer. You have to learn how to siphon off above the yeast and trub sediment as that helps get a clearer beer. Also I would recommend that next time you boil up some water and priming sugar,let it cool and add it to the bottling bucket. Siphon your beer into the bucket and bottle away.

lets see started fermentation sunday and bottled today can you say BOOMI guess your not really a true homebrewer unless you have been woke up in the middle of the night to bottle bombs. this is on way to get it out of your system early.:rockin:
Cheers
JJ

Most people here (myself included) are going to recomend 3 weeks, not 3 days to ferment.

I would definately put those bottles in a safe place that you don't mind getting a little messy. And with that much sugar used for each bottle to prime, you are gonna be lucky if any of these brews make it. Bottle Bomb Time!!!

Is 0.5 tablespoon too much. I use 1 teaspoon.

would it be better to pour them back into the barrel? ...I would be considering this as an option, as least you would be assured of not having bottle bombs and the mess that these entail.

I would also get another barrel to use as a secondary. This does not mean secondary fermention but is more to condition the beer prior to bottling.
The best thing I think about the secondary stage is that when you rack from the primary to the secondary all the gunk at the bottom of the barrel is left behind. just be careful not to splash the beer too much when racking as this can cause problems.

I did the primary on sunday and waited for the Fermentation lock to stop bubbling (3 Days and a bit ), i did find yeast along the side of the bucket so i didn't fully stur when i put it in ...the beer is already starting to clear, so will it explode 4 su re >?

i did try to not get the sediement from the pail to the bottles

Blender said:
Also I would recommend that next time you boil up some water and priming sugar,let it cool and add it to the bottling bucket.

What's the thinking behind cooling the sugar water? The few batches I've bottled I just dumped the hot (not quite boiling, but still hot) water into the beer, stirred, then bottled

If you let it cool to room temperature, you're not going to kill the yeast that are going to carbonate your beer! I forgot to cool it the first time and no harm was done, though. I always use a secondary and get some pretty clear beer, so I try to "baby" my remaining yeast the rest of the way to carbonation. 200 degree sugar water may well shock/kill the yeast in the beer you are transferring, until the temperature gets down to under 90 degrees.

Hanselhoff said:
I did the primary on sunday and waited for the Fermentation lock to stop bubbling (3 Days and a bit ), i did find yeast along the side of the bucket so i didn't fully stur when i put it in ...the beer is already starting to clear, so will it explode 4 su re >?

i did try to not get the sediement from the pail to the bottles

The bubbles stopping DOES NOT mean that it is done fermenting, the only way to know for sure is to use a hydrometer. It is usually going to take AT LEAST a week to ferment, and even then you shouldn't bottle for another week.

You also used WAY too much priming sugar, and it probably wasn't done fermenting yet. They may not explode, but I would be willing to bet that they will be blowing up in about a week or so. If they do start to blow, you can cool them to around 32 degrees and make the yeast go domant, stopping the carbonation process, but you will be left with beer that won't ever be ready, and will probably be too sweet.

If you let it warm back up, then boom, so you may want to test them every few days and see how the carbonation is coing along, when it's good enough, cool it and keep it cool. Good luck.

You REALLY should read howtobrew.com, it's free and John Palmer is a homebrew icon, then read his book, and The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian.

I can't believe no one has suggested it. Just crack one open and see how much carbonation you have. For me, because I have a good idea of what I am doing but am no expert, I usually crack one open after about 3 days after bottling. If it seems uncarbed, I open one at 7 days. Then at 14. Then at 21 days. Then I decide what I'm going to do with it- age it, give it away, refrigerate, etc. And the beer will improve over the next few weeks/months regardless of style (some styles will improve for years).

As for Yooper Chick's advice... well she's sort of an HBT icon. :) But I respectfully disagree. Even with a reasonably long secondary, unless you are adding a LOT of hot water, I doubt you'll be killing of more yeast than you find in a pint or two of water. In a tiny batch, that may be problematic, but in a 5 gallon batch, I really don't think it matters.... unless, of course, we're talking about a very long secondary/clearing time or an exceptionally highly flocculating yeast. I would consider both of those situations to be exceptions to the rule. I say to Yooper: Don't be afraid of throwing hot sugar water into the bottling bucket unless your yeast is "special" or you forgot about the brew for a really long time (not just secondaried it, but actually forgot about it). That's just my lesser fraction of a nickel though....

So my answer to the original question is, open one up and tell us how it is!!!! (and also read John Palmer's book. It was the third book I ever read and I learned a lot from it). For what it's worth, I've brewed about 6 batches, but I've read more books than that so I speak more from the experience of experts than from my own (though my suggestion to yoop is mostly my own opinion based upon calculating how much of the wort remains above 90 degrees as you add the wort). Learning is fun. Cheers!

Back