Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am smoking a boudain stuffed pork loin wrapped with apple wood smoked bacon. I smoked a brisket a few weeks ago and it was damn good. Hickory wood is my preference.mmmmmmmm

ForumRunner_20110729_074954.jpg

Just prepped two racks of spare ribs, family pack of chix legs, and a whole deer leg! Starting the smoker in two hours. Just got off the red eye, time for nappy.

I have two 13 lbs CAB briskets aging in the garage refrigerator for a contest on August 6th and 7th. I love CAB Briskets because the slaughter date is posted on the packing. I am lucky because I got them 4 days after slaughter and 3 weeks of wet aging should be just right for them to be at their prime at contest time.

I forgot to snap an action shot in the smoker or during the rest, but here is is pulled and waiting to be devoured...

IMG_20110724_162159.jpg

Some nice pulled pork goodness!!!:rockin: The next time you have a hankering for pork try smoking a bone-in Boston Butt (the part of the sholder just above the picnic) and instead of pulling remove the money muscle and slice it. Oh boy you will be in for a treat!!

hog_cuts.jpg

1.jpg

smoking my first chuck roast tomorrow. want it to be shredded for sandwiches. anyone got any pointers? I'm planning to use applewood smoke @225 and go to 160 internal, foil w/apple juice, then take it to 195 before I pull it. rest an hour or so then shred.

strat_thru_marshall said:
smoking my first chuck roast tomorrow. want it to be shredded for sandwiches. anyone got any pointers? I'm planning to use applewood smoke @225 and go to 160 internal, foil w/apple juice, then take it to 195 before I pull it. rest an hour or so then shred.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Smoked a couple chickens yesterday afternoon. They were brined for 12 hours, covered in herb rub overnight and then smoked at 225F for about 5 hours. Attached a picture of one resting in a heavy casserole dish.

Planning to carve slices for sandwiches today. Smoked chicken on homemade bread made with spent beer grain. :)

smoked-chicken.jpg

Smoked a couple chickens yesterday afternoon. They were brined for 12 hours, covered in herb rub overnight and then smoked at 225F for about 5 hours. Attached a picture of one resting in a heavy casserole dish.

Planning to carve slices for sandwiches today. Smoked chicken on homemade bread made with spent beer grain. :)

yowsers! that's a heck of a first post! :mug:

Maybe you know something I don't but 12 hours in brine is an awful long time.

@FromZwolle Thanks! I've been reading in the home brewing section mostly and just spotted this area last week. I'm a newbie home brewer but I've been back yard smoking for about 6 years now.

@Sawdustguy I don't use any salt or sugar in the rub. Even with a 12 hour brine the chicken is nicely balanced in the end between salt and sweet.

Got the first smoke on the new deck and Big Green Egg table this weekend.
img_0780.jpg

Hell or High Watermelon is the perfect first beer of a BBQ, especially when it's 8:00am

img_0782.jpg

My Gauntlets of Grilling +5

img_0784.jpg

The stage is set!

img_0785.jpg

Six baby back slabs rubbed with an impromptou rub

img_0786.jpg

They BARELY fit!

glazed.jpg

Took half off to serve dry and glazed these with honey, lemon/lime juice, diced jalapenos, and a heap of grape jelly

wondertwins.jpg

Also spatchcocked some Peruvian spice rubbed chickens. (forgot to take any additional pics of these.)

ribsnchicken.jpg

Sunday after church leftovers. Yes, that's a Busch. One of the people who came over thought it would be funny to bring me a sixer of Busch. Little did he know my unofficial theme was "beer in cans and soda in bottles." We also had Oskar Blues' Dales Pale Ale and Resurrection from The Brewer's Art in Baltimore.

Next up, obligatory photos of the kiddo eatin' ribs.

Our 18-month-old totally ignored his chicken nuggets and drooled over daddy's lefover ribs yesterday.

I pulled a nice piece off and gave it to him. But he realy wanted his own bone.

20110731-030600.jpg

20110731-030616.jpg

20110731-030624.jpg

20110731-030627.jpg

20110731-030633.jpg

Going to start calling him "vulture". He picked that thang clean!

I guess I should have taken pictures but I smoked a couple racks of spares with the tips going into some beans on the smoker as well

I also threw on a bricket point for some pastrami meat for the week :mug:

I'm brining some chicken thighs right now. I've only got a 22.5" generic round black grill, but I've had decent luck just piling my coals to one side and heaping soaked chips next to them. I need to get some chunk wood to try out different techniques.

Some nice pulled pork goodness!!!:rockin: The next time you have a hankering for pork try smoking a bone-in Boston Butt (the part of the sholder just above the picnic) and instead of pulling remove the money muscle and slice it. Oh boy you will be in for a treat!!

1.jpg

Can you explain a little more about the money muscle? Do you separate it first before cooking or after? Do you slice it hot or let it rest? I'm cooking two Boston Butts on saturday and would love to try it!

i finally got my uds built and in action this past saturday. really stupid scheduling on my part to have 5 meats coming off the grill/smokers at the same time, so no money shots. but here's my setup from saturday.

4676-dsc00140.jpg

This thread has me excited! I've got a bunch of deer meat left from last season that has to be gone in time for the new season in a month. Gonna break out the sausage making equipment this weekend and fire up old bertha. probably gonna do three or four different kinds, andouille, bratwurst, breakfast and variations on each. Gonna be a good day!! Thanks for getting me fired up!!

Guy,

I haven't looked at this thread in awhile, so I just saw your comment. I will definitely give that a try. My 9 year old daughter is a HUGE fan of pulled pork and I am sure she will love that as well.

If I have a chance, I am gonna revv up the ol' smoker Sunday. I've been thinking brisket. Had our August birthday lunch for work at Jim & Nick's BBQ. I had the brisket, but it just wan't enough (not to mention SWMBO wants it now...) They had wings for appetizer there that they dry rubbed, smoked and then tossed in the fryer real quick and tossed w/ wing sauce. They were gooooooooooood! May have to make some of those too!

Lit up the smoker today put some ribs and flank steak on. I did some Argentinian sausages on the grill earlier to hold us while they smoked. Here is somewhat during our eating:
295227_10150363160663273_602223272_9834360_1890777_n.jpg

262861_10150363161513273_602223272_9834368_1854205_n.jpg

We had it with some corn tortillas, pico de gallo and lettuce. They were taken a bit late after we ate some.

I had a buddy smoke some briskets today. I would normally be there helping to cook. If I heard right it was 138# of brisket.

I have a split rack of spare ribs and six turkey legs in my gas smoker to be ready about 5 tonight.

The tips are going in some mustard greens I just picked from the garden.

I'll vacuum seal and freeze the turkey legs in pairs for bean soup this fall. They keep forever frozen and sealed this way.

It's just me and a bloody mary this afternoon while the NB innkeeper gets chill in the bottle for tonight.

ForumRunner_20110814_134329.jpg

Going to put a couple of racks of ribs in the smoker this friday, along with some seriously large sweet potatoes (the ribs will cool at 225-250 for 3 1/2hrs, the potatoes for about an hour and a half at the same temp (on the lower rack) -I like to wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil with a generous helping of butter on the top of them -it helps to steam them and the skins slide right off with no effort -and they will be getting butter on the plate anyway, so why not get a head start? :)
This is going to be my first smoking session since I had a subdural hemorrhage (and subsequent craniotomy) on the first of August. I'm looking forward to it (and to the copious amount of lawnmower ale I'll be pulling from the keg).

Well, we cooked the Battle of the BBQ Brethren contest here in Manorville a little more than a week ago and we did not do very well. We were 17th out of 44 teams. Our chicken entry killed us. The one shining light was our desert entry where we used my sister-in-law and team mate's Double Chocolate Rasberry Cheese Cake recipe. We scored a 178.8 which is 1.2 points away from a perfect 180. It was the highest score in the contest. It was baked in a Weber Smokey Mountain. Here is a picture.

205954_10150400520088018_829418017_10561130_50303_n.jpg

Nightbiker said:
Going to put a couple of racks of ribs in the smoker this friday, along with some seriously large sweet potatoes (the ribs will cool at 225-250 for 3 1/2hrs, the potatoes for about an hour and a half at the same temp (on the lower rack) -I like to wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil with a generous helping of butter on the top of them -it helps to steam them and the skins slide right off with no effort -and they will be getting butter on the plate anyway, so why not get a head start? :)
This is going to be my first smoking session since I had a subdural hemorrhage (and subsequent craniotomy) on the first of August. I'm looking forward to it (and to the copious amount of lawnmower ale I'll be pulling from the keg).

Subdural. Not fun. My sister loves that stuff. I guess you have to to be a Neuro ICU nurse. Glad to hear you are ok. Enjoy the meat and beer.

I smoked these two 9lb pork shoulder two weekends ago and brewed 20 gallons of beer! These where smoked for 12 hrs in my Kamado with freshly cut bourbon barrel staves for the smoke.
I took Sawdustguy's recommendation and cut out the money muscle. It was absolutely delicious.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

I smoked these two 9lb pork shoulder two weekends ago and brewed 20 gallons of beer! These where smoked for 12 hrs in my Kamado with freshly cut bourbon barrel staves for the smoke.
I took Sawdustguy's recommendation and cut out the money muscle. It was absolutely delicious.

I am glad you liked it Nate!

Well, we cooked the Battle of the BBQ Brethren contest here in Manorville a little more than a week ago and we did not do very well. We were 17th out of 44 teams. Our chicken entry killed us. The one shining light was our desert entry where we used my sister-in-law and team mate's Double Chocolate Rasberry Cheese Cake recipe. We scored a 178.8 which is 1.2 points away from a perfect 180. It was the highest score in the contest. It was baked in a Weber Smokey Mountain. Here is a picture.

205954_10150400520088018_829418017_10561130_50303_n.jpg

The dessert looks very nice. What happened with the chicken?

Going to smoke my first chicken this weekend. I'm thinking "beer butt" style in my water smoker, with a Cornell Chicken-style rub.

Any tips/ideas?

Back