Meat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah! I didn't think this was going to happen. I got shot down before and I assumed it would be again. :ban:

i am already a member on the grilldome forum and bbqtalk.ca but it will be great to discuss smoking meats here as well.

I just set up a rotisserie to sit over my fire pit in the back yard. Not quite smoking or curing, but more or less on topic. I'm definitely going to be abusing this forum as it grows. I'm hoping to do some hams and sausages in the coming months.

I love meat. Probably pork and seafood most of all, but beef, poultry, even some deer are all OK.

I've recently been advised that eliminating pork from the diet will add 7-10 years to your life.........

Is it worth it?.........*hems and haws*

BTW* Not taking either side, but people are made of meat too.....

I love meat. Probably pork and seafood most of all, but beef, poultry, even some deer are all OK.

I've recently been advised that eliminating pork from the diet will add 7-10 years to your life.........

Whats the point of living longer if you can't enjoy it?

BTW* Not taking either side, but people are made of meat too.....

Why so much hate on the pork but not red meat? (Not to offend any red meat fanatics). I'm guessing doctors really just hate pork because of bacon, because for the most part pork is healthier than beef (last I checked).

Why so much hate on the pork but not red meat? (Not to offend any red meat fanatics). I'm guessing doctors really just hate pork because of bacon, because for the most part pork is healthier than beef (last I checked).

As far as fat and calorie content it I think it is lower for the most part but it has other things in it that aren't good for your body.

Here's what I found

Foods with very high purine levels(up to 1,000 mg per 3.5 ounce serving): Anchovies, Brains, Gravies, Kidneys,Liver, Sardines, Sweetbreads
Foods with high and moderately high purine levels(5-100 mg per 3.5 ounch serving): Asparagus, Bacon, Beef, Bluefish, Bouillon, Calf tongue, Carp, Cauliflower, Chicken, Chicken soup, Codfish, Crab, Duck, Goose, Halibut, Ham, Kidney beans, Lamb, Lentils, Lima beans, Lobster, Mushrooms, Mutton, Navy beans, Oatmeal, Oysters, Peas, Perch, Pork, Rabbit, Salmon, Sheep, Shellfish, Snapper, Spinach, Tripe, Trout, Tuna, Turkey, Veal, Venison

Purine is broken down by the body into uric acid which in turn causes/exacerbates gout.

Any reference material?

Not in writing. I know when my grandfather has a lot of pork he can sometimes not even walk because his gout gets so bad. His doctor also told him that eating a lot of pork and a couple other kinds of food can actually cause a person to develop gout over time.

Don't get me wrong though, I am not trying to say people shouldn't eat pork or anything like that. I love pork and eat a ton of it.

Plus a lot of the pork that most people eat is actually cured or processed and most have nitrates added.

I love pork, I was just giving an actual quote of what someone said to me (not a doctor or nutritionist) Do I doubt it's validity? Not entirely. Do I believe it is Wrong? Not exactly.

I am interested in beef and chicken sausage, however, and like many things, it couldn't hurt to eat less pork.

I love pork, I was just giving an actual quote of what someone said to me (not a doctor or nutritionist) Do I doubt it's validity? Not entirely. Do I believe it is Wrong? Not exactly.

I am interested in beef and chicken sausage, however, and like many things, it couldn't hurt to eat less pork.

I am working on coming up with a buffalo chicken sausage. I also made a chicken burger a few months ago that was really damn good.

So, we've got an unreferenced list that also includes beef, fish, and chicken; and something someone's grandpa's doctor supposedly once said?

oh, that's right, this is the internet...

So, we've got an unreferenced list that also includes beef, fish, and chicken; and something someone's grandpa's doctor supposedly once said?

oh, that's right, this is the internet...

Exactly, so it must be true!

I guess it's smoked tofu from now on.

I hear tofu can cause man-boobs :p

Time to stop eating, because the food we eat will kill us, breathing because of the toxins in the air, and moving about because we might get in an accident.

Or, we can make the best of this condition known as life and eat smoked & cured meats!

JUST WANTED TO MAKE CLEAR...

<my point was only that: IF...(for absolute certain) eating pork chops took 7-10 years of life away, I would STILL have a hard time eliminating the yummy things.

The guy speaking had in fact just had tofu for thanksgiving......NO KIDDING.(or so he told me)

I've had really good tofurkey and really bad tofurkey. I'll happily receive either (good tofurkey or turkey) :)

It's a Homer Simpson line.;)

Anotjher great sentence....

"BOY! Butter up that Bacon! Then Bacon up that sausage!"

Or something along those lines.

There's room for all of God's creatures... next to the mashed potatoes

I don't know, seeing some arabs steam a whole camel over rice made me almost throw up.

That phucker would only fit on a gigantic plate, and would dwarf anything less than 20 gallons of mashed potatoes.

Either way I will never go camel. I probably couldn't even stomach mashed potatoes while looking at tht great steaming hulk..........*shivers in disgust*

Back