Condensation in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
I just racked my first brew to my glass carboy on Sunday. I have noticed some condensation forming on the carboy recently. Is this anything to worry about? What does this mean?

Thanks for the help in advance.:ban:

That's what I figured. From the couple weeks I've been here that's one thing I learned...most "problems" aren't really problems.

I just thought I would ask to be sure!

homebrewer_99 said:
Condensation is just like rain (and distilling)...warm front meets a colder front...forms drops...no problem.:D

I understand what causes condensation, I'm just not sure if it means my carboy is not air-tight or if it means absolutely nothing.

I'm under the assumption it is nothing.

SOB said:
I understand what causes condensation, I'm just not sure if it means my carboy is not air-tight or if it means absolutely nothing.

I'm under the assumption it is nothing.

Mine does it with just about every brew...no worries!

This old thread answered my question. :)

My Brew mentor, SteveFarns, thinks the condesation in my carboy (primary) may be from the hotter than normal weather we've had the past few days, which has raised the temp of my brew.

I'm only a few days away from bottling my first batch! Cant wait!

Fermentation is exothermic. So it's generally warmer than outside air. The glass at the top of your fermenter will be cooler than your beer. Warmer, moist air meets cooler glass surface. Bang.

Well, not bang.

It's actually very quiet. :D

But... condensation.

if I had to guess, I'd say that condensation is mostly alcohol:) I wonder just how strong it is... start licking;)

seriously, though, the heat of fermentation goes away and the carboy cools off allowing condensation.

Related question leading me to revive this old thread:

I have a lot of condensation on the outside of my plastic primary bucket. I imagine this is because I have the bucket in a swamp cooler and the weather is VERY hot right now.

But, I've noticed the condensation seems to be messing with my adhesive thermometer, making me unsure of the readings. Any way o get around this? Will the condensation kill my adhesive strip/make it impossible to accurately gauge the temp?

Back