Floaters in my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I went to keg a steam beer from the primary (bucket) this evening. I used Saflager S-23 for the first time. When I lifted the lid of the bucket, I saw these floaters in there. These looked different than any floaters I've seen before. Were they roused from my lifting the bucket and putting it on the workbench?
2n0qa81.jpg

9737d2.jpg

Also, the yeast slurry at the bottom looked quite different than any I've seen before.
2zejke9.jpg

Just unique to this yeast strain?
Anyhow, the beer tastes good so far.

Thanks

Looks like pellet hop remnants to me. My guess is they were pushed up by the krausen and then left clinging to the side when it subsided. Then, when you moved the bucket, you knocked off about a half inch of them (as seen by the white band above the surface and below the other trub on the side of the bucket).

Thanks. It was last night, I was tired, and didn't want to postpone racking to the keg until the particles settled. Do you think they're going to clog my dip tube and poppet valve?

If I've got the keg under 18 PSI now to carbonate, is it too late to transfer with a muslin bag to filter?

If I've got the keg under 18 PSI now to carbonate, is it too late to transfer with a muslin bag to filter?

You'd have to use a "jumper" to go from keg liquid out tube to keg liquid out tube. It'd be really tough to put a muslin bag on a keg dip tube, (you could do it if you don't mind sticking sanitized hands in your beer.

Don't try to siphon carbonated beer, (ask me how I know :drunk: what a pain in the @$$!!!)....you'll just make a mess.

If you JUST put it under pressure, you might not be carbonated much, and then yes, you could siphon with a bag over the end of the siphon to catch crap.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry, and I'd just let it settle a little while. I doubt you will clog anything, (certainly won't clog your diptube, probably won't clog your poppet).

I did have a problem recently where I dry hopped in a keg with pellet hops loose. I figured the first pint would be pure hop sludge, and then clear beer. Instead, the 1.5 oz of hop sludge just clogged up the works, and I had to siphon it into a new keg. I lost 1 gal of beer in the process :(. Before you waste beer, I'd go by the wait-n-see approach.

Pop the keg and add some gelatin if you want to help stuff settle out.

Back