Home Depot Watts Plastic Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
When I initially built my mash tun, I bought one of those plastic valves from the fittings section at Home Depot. I didnt have to take anything apart on my cooler to make it into a mash tun, a 1/4" tubing fits very snugly through the drain hole. I hada very hard time finding a valve for this size and I just eventually got the Watts plastic valve.

I am now uprading my system to constantly recirculate the mash and I was wondering if should replace the plastic with something better or if this will be okay.

I have not had any issues yet with the valve leaching and off flavors into the beer, but they have only been in contact for a few minutes while I sparge and I was wondering if the increased contact time would affect it.

I cant find the exact specs on what I bought, but i believe the valve is polypropylene.

Thanks!

I used a couple of the same valves on my old system. They worked great, even at boiling temperatures. Never leaked, deformed, etc.

However, they are a bit difficult to open/close due to their small size. I went with brass valves in my new system for that very reason.

I used a couple of the same valves on my old system. They worked great, even at boiling temperatures. Never leaked, deformed, etc.

However, they are a bit difficult to open/close due to their small size. I went with brass valves in my new system for that very reason.

Cool, what I wanted to hear. Its be difficult to find decent valves for 1/4" tubing and the one I have works great now. I havent had any isses with leaking or it getting stuck. I rinse it really really well after my mash to prevent it from being sticky.

Guess this is one upgrade i dont need to make......for now

I am now uprading my system to constantly recirculate the mash and I was wondering if should replace the plastic with something better or if this will be okay.

I don't have any experience with this, but I think that if you're recirculating, you might want something with more flow than 1/4" tubing will provide. I have a feeling that 1/4" might starve your pump. Most people that pump use 1/2" tubing, I think.

I don't have any experience with this, but I think that if you're recirculating, you might want something with more flow than 1/4" tubing will provide. I have a feeling that 1/4" might starve your pump. Most people that pump use 1/2" tubing, I think.

Okay, I'll have to give it a test first. Like I said before, the only reason why I am using 1/4" tubing is thats what the drain hole on my cooler is. I dont want to tear it out and add a valve if i dont have too.

I'll go from 1/4" to 1/2" before and the pump b/c thats the fitings it takes

Ah, happy I found this thread. I'm gearing up for a cooler conversion and picked up one of these Watts quick connects on a whim.

I was feeling good about the whole thing until I read the California state warning wherein the consumer is notified the quick connect contains cancer-causing properties. How concerned should I really be? Sounds frightening, but it looks as if others have used these. Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT: Just to add, the piece itself is marked with a 1 in a circle...if that means anything to anyone. Thanks, again.

Back