First all grain, OG reading,wheat flavored kool-aid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
Finished my first all grain this evening and I'm thinking either my hydrometer has failed me or I made something that smelled and looked like wort but is just colored water. I took my OG from the carboy an hour or so after pitching. I took the sample from near the top. Any chance the heavier stuff is down low? My OG was about 1.014.

Since wort naturally stratifies before fermentation kicks in, you need to shake the fertmenter up vigorously before drawing a sample.

Did you add some water after putting the wort in the fermenter? An AG shouldn't be stratified, so either there is a problem with your hydrometer or you have serious efficiency problems with your mash.

Generally you want to really shake it up before pitching to make sure its all well mixed and THEN take your OG before you pitch and put away. You should have had a boil though and that is a pretty good mixer of things... Not sure what could be the problem though. I'd test your hydrometer at 60deg F and see if it shows about 1.000

~Phil

Back