When adding spices for a wit, do you use a steel "tea" ball, or just throw them in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
During the boil what way are you supposed to add them? Then, do they need to be removed after cooling before you add the wort to the fermenter?

Also, If you add your spices at flameout, do you need to be worried about them infecting the wort?

With no scientific data at all to back me on this I'm going to say that the risk is probably minimal..... I'm guessing that as it takes an insanely long time to cool your wort (without cool gadgets like wort chillers and all) that the high temp of the wort right at flameout is likely to kill off any baddies that might be lurking about in your spices.....

but again.. that is simply a guess....

Of course, the faster you cool, the less chance you have for oxidation of hot wort and DMS.

I boil for 10 minutes to help sanitize the spices and to make sure I get some extraction of the flavors as I don't leave them in the wort going to the fermentor.

I just toss them in for 10-15 minutes, and strain them out when going to the fermenator.

Back