Not quite the right color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
OK guys I have attempted a Mexican Corn Beer "corona clone" and I dont think the coloring is quite right. This is only my second batch and my first was a very dark brown ale. I racked today to secondary and the color is a golden amber that you cant see through yet. Will this clear up and give me a nice piss colored clear mexican beer? When I steeped grains the mixture looked right on afterwards (yellowish color) then after I boild with malt extract it got much darker. The recipe I used was as follows

3.3 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. 2 Row Pale Domestic (cracked)
½ lb. 6 Row Pale (cracked)
1½ lb. Flaked Corn
1 oz. Hallertauer Hops
½ oz. Hallertauer Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - California Lager or Pilsner Lager (if you have temperature controlled refrigerator).

Mash grains in 1 gallon of 160°F water for 60 minutes. Sparge with 1 gallon of 170°F water. Return the liquid to potand add malt extract and 1 oz. Hallertauer hops and boil for 55 minutes. Remove from heat. Add ½ oz. Hallertauer hops and steep for 5 min. Strain into enough cold water to make 5 gallon. Pitch yeast when cooled to 80°F or below. Ferment at 70°F or lower if possible.
Yields 5 gallons.

Thanks

With extract, no.

I made an extract that was supposed to be really light and I came close-- but when compared to an actual Corona, it was still dark.

Ok, a few things stand out to me that might have made your brew too dark.

First, I would have used extra light extract rather than golden.

Second, I would have added the extract waaaaay late in the brewing process, like the last 15 mins. When you cook sugar it caramelizes and gets darker.

Third, you need to have an actual Mexican piss in it to get even close to Corona.:p (hey, you brought it up!)

On a separate note, I've always heard that Centennial are the hops to use for Corona clones...

:confused:

As stated, with smaller volume boils, the wort tends to caramelize making the finished beer darker. If you truly want your beer to be straw colored you will have to start doing full volume boils.

OK so while this batch might not LOOK like corona it still might taste like it?? The next time I attempt a corona clone I should

1. Add Extract in last 15 minutes of boil
2. Use a Extra Light Extract
3. Use Centennial hops
4. Find a couple wetbacks to piss in it for me

Thanks people :)

Third, you need to have an actual Mexican piss in it to get even close to Corona. (hey, you brought it up!)

The real problem, these days, is AVOIDDING this scenario.

Is corona a lager? Reason I ask is when someone wants to do a Bud clone (heaven forbit) usually the responces are that its a lager and it would be very hard to do.

Beer Snob said:
Is corona a lager? Reason I ask is when someone wants to do a Bud clone (heaven forbit) usually the responces are that its a lager and it would be very hard to do.

Corona is a lager and from the discussions on other sites, it is pretty hard to reproduce (without the "extra ingredient" of course, sorry Blaine, this is beer talk...).:p

The discussions usually always move to "Why would you want to reproduce THAT flavor?!" But I'm finding people on this forum much more tolerant of "mainstream" "mass produced" "mass crammed down our throats" "mass marketed" beers.:D

Good luck!
:drunk:

Well the recipe called for and I used california lager yeast. I am fermenting at 62-64 degrees which is in the range called for on the yeast package.

Back