First Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
So finally, I broke down and bought my equipment from Austin Homebrew as we did not have a local brew shop (although one did open up afterwards!).

Worked my way through the brewing process with a buddy of mine and ended with an OG of 1.041. Let it ferment for 4 weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.005. about 4.2% ABV.

It has now been in the bottle about 2 weeks and I did crack one open. There is very little sediment in each of the bottles which makes pouring easy, the only downside to my beer is it is extremely cloudy. The flavor is excellent and even a little hoppier than expected, which is a treat. The only way I can describe the appearance would be to look at a Blue Moon Belgian Wheat and that would be how cloudy it is. Is there anything to do in the future that could help to clear it up?

Hey, man. Congrats on the first brew. You could add a teaspoon of Irish Moss 15 minutes before the end of the process. This helps to clear it. The haze should go away in time, but this clears it quicker. :)

Unless you did something to clear the beer it will probably be cloudy for a while. Doesn't have much of an impact on overall flavor though.

Congrats. Sounds like everything went well with the homebrew.

So finally, I broke down and bought my equipment from Austin Homebrew as we did not have a local brew shop (although one did open up afterwards!).

Worked my way through the brewing process with a buddy of mine and ended with an OG of 1.041. Let it ferment for 4 weeks and ended up with a FG of 1.005. about 4.2% ABV.

It has now been in the bottle about 2 weeks and I did crack one open. There is very little sediment in each of the bottles which makes pouring easy, the only downside to my beer is it is extremely cloudy. The flavor is excellent and even a little hoppier than expected, which is a treat. The only way I can describe the appearance would be to look at a Blue Moon Belgian Wheat and that would be how cloudy it is. Is there anything to do in the future that could help to clear it up?

Leave it in the Fridge a week or longer, it will slowly clear.

That is what I figured. Although it is cloudy it doesn't have any sediment so I am happy.

Back