New regulator/burner test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
Just hooked up the new propane regulator it is adjustable from 0-60 and it was only $19.95 from Tractor supply. I wish I would of got this sooner. The best $20.00 upgrade ever. The burner that I'm using is a high pressure from Acadamey sporting goods $11.99 a great deal when you don't have to pay shipping. There will be 2 more of these burners going on the new 10gal system. Here's a few pics of what I got.

Is that the Mr. Heater reg? You will like that one, I have it on my potato cannon. It does a great job of maintaining a constant pressure as the tank empties.

Mr Heater it is! This thing really kicks ass. I'm going to have to watch it.

Changing from low pressure to high pressure should decrease my time to bring wort to a boil and water to temp. With the adjustable regulator I will be able to fine tune the flame. I don't know if it will help save fuel but it will help with time.

What kind of burners are you using? You could probably use that one reg to supply all three burners, as long as you're using a manifold. It's kinda cool to see the flame blast out on high....but be careful not to let the flame blow itself out. I recently souped up my reg from 10 PSI to 20 PSI and found that the burners would go out because the pressure was too high (in so called hi-pressure SQ14 burners). Needless to say, just a minute of unlit propane blasting from the burner could really create a dangerous situation; even in a garage with the door open.

The good news is the reg is 0-60, so it will work with any burner. I wonder though.....what would possibly use 60 PSI??? A furnace?

The way I'm planning on setting this up is to have a needle valve before each burner. I'm going to put high pressure burners on the HLT and Kettle, I"m not shure if I should put a low pressure burner on the MLT.......I'm thinking mabey so because its just to maintain heat. What do you think? Look in my gallery thats the high pressure burner I'm talking about.

Back