Marris Otter vs. Pale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I find that I've been subbing Marris Otter in place of 2 row pale malt for almost all of my recipes. It started when my lhbs was out of pale malt for a day or two. I've been brewing Pale Ale, Newcastle clone, Blue Moon Clone, IPA, Smash.

Am I missing out on something or just adding a little more flavor?

Oh, I'd agree- I LOVE MO as a base malt. It seems to give some more flavor to most beers. The only beer I didn't love it in as my DFH clone IPA- it was too malt forward in that case. I think I even use it in my cream ale recipe as a base malt!

I use MO as much as possible. For drier beers, like DFH 60, I would just mash a little lower. Now that you know MO is good stuff, you have to start figuring out which maltster you like better. I usually prefer Crisp...

Why do you like Crisp more? I am assuming you prefer it to Hugh Baird? Or some other maltster?

Bottom line is consistency. There are more maltsters producing MO than Crisp and Baird, but I've only tried three of them. I have had the best results with Crisp's product. Others may have had different results...

MO has more depth in flavor than pale malt but there are some styles that MO is not appropriate for, such as wheat beers.
but it is an great all around base malt.

REVIVE....!!! :)

Would you say for the price hike, it makes a better beer, and what about in an IPA? I know you didnt like the DFH, but what about the Fresh Squeezed or another high hoppy beer... thanx all

Back