My Wheat Beer recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone thinks of this one.

6.5 lbs wheat lme
6 oz wheat malt
4 oz pilsner malt
3 oz cara vienne
3 oz acidulated malt

1 oz challenger pellets-60 min
1 oz hallertauer hersbrucker pellets-5 min
1/2 oz coriander-15min
1 oz orange peel-15 min

Wyeast 1010

Just my opinion...sounds like you're confused...;)

Exactly what are you trying to make?

6.5 lbs Wheat LME is enough for any batch of wheat beer.

All this is not required:

6 oz wheat malt
4 oz pilsner malt
3 oz cara vienne
3 oz acidulated malt

Hallertauer Hersbrucker hop are for German Weizens
Coriander is for a Belgium Wit
Orange Peel is for a Belgium Wit
Wyeast 1010 is for an American Wheat

:confused: :confused: :confused:

But it's your recipe...

Well I went to the local brew store and talked to one of the people working there about making a american wheat beer. The recipe that they gave me was what I wrote down to start this thread. I wanted a smooth wheat beer that was just not quite a wit. They had this recipe as their beer of the month so I decided to try it out. The coriander and orange peel I bought seperately to maybe experiment a bit with taste.

i think you will end up with a very aromatic brew. i like the orange peel. i would not worry to much about what styles your individual ingredients are used for because in the end it all comes out beer. as long as you enjoy your final results you made agood beer. :mug:

Just brew it; who cares.

As you improve yourself as a brewer you'll begin to pick up on what works and what doesn't. You'll learn what you like and what others like, and IF you want to change your brew to satisfy them!

Well the recipe fits the description of what you want, I would be wary, however, of using a whole ounce challenger. It usually has a fairly high AA%. It will be fine as long as you're wanting it more bitter than an average wheat.

homebrewer_99 said:
Apparently, he does or he would not have asked.;)

I was just pointing out how the ingredients go all over the place and hard to pin down after the basic wheat beer.

I meant no harm. Sometimes making a beer that deviates from the norm is the best way to realize why a style of beer fits with a specific type of ingredient(s).

I hear you though.

jikastew said:
I meant no harm. Sometimes making a beer that deviates from the norm is the best way to realize why a style of beer fits with a specific type of ingredient(s).

I hear you though.

Well they kinda mis led him. He wants an american Wheat but they are giving him ingredients for a German/Belgian/American Witenweizen.

Sounds like a tasty beverage! I wouldn't worry about adhering to a certain style, just make something you like. I just brewed up an american wheat which is similar, but has a few differences:

6.5 Wheat LME
1# 2-row
1# Flaked Wheat
Wyeast 1056
.5oz Spalt Select (60m)
.5oz Spalt Select (30m)
.5oz Perle (30m)
.5oz Perle (10m)
Zest/Peels of 5 large oranges (30m)

Like your recipe, it doesn't fit into a specific category of American Wheat, Witbier, Weizen, etc. However, it's been bottled for 2-3 weeks, and it's the best wheat beer I've ever had! Brew on!

Thanks guys! I am going to give this brew the ole' college try. Hopefully it turns out well. I will learn alot I am sure. Planning on doing this recipe next weekend. After i rack the dubbel in the secondary:rockin:

Looks like a delicious recipe. I wouldn't worry much about conforming to stylistic guidelines. I'd personally increase the pils malt to 1 lbs of Dingmans Pils.

When new brewers try to make recipes they tend to go wild and that is because we have so many choices of ingredients. They would be better served by trying known good recipes and trying to make the brew as good as they can. You can try your own recipes later after proving to yourself that you can master the brewing process. There is no sence in making your own beer if you can not stand the taste.

Back