Make a schwarzbier base more interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing ten gallons at a time, and using different yeasts in each carboy. I figure, as long as I am mashing and boiling for a five gallon batch, scaling up is worth it for the addition of time and ingredients.

I've had a good time using two different saison yeasts for each batch, or two different english bitter yeasts. I like the variety I get at the end.

I'm set to make a schwarzbier this weekend, and I'm using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager.

Is there a second yeast I could use with the schwarzbier wort that would be sufficiently different from 2206 to be interesting? Ideally it would ferment at the same temperature, as I only have one fermentation fridge.

I'm really open to experimentation here, so any ideas are welcome. Maybe sour one of the batches?

Thanks, CB

Thanks. Any suggestions for something a bit off the beaten path?

You could try one of the American lager strains, they finish pretty dry and crisp, and a little less malty.

Ok, thanks. This will be my first lager, so maybe I should keep it simple. Does a soured schwarzbier sound appealing to anyone?

Does a soured schwarzbier sound appealing to anyone?

Not really, but give it a shot. Maybe get a 1g glass moonshine jug and rack off a portion of your finished batch. Minimal loss if it's bad.

I just racked 1 gallon of my "the kaiser" clone and siphoned about 1 cup of my 1 year old lambic and dumped it in. Already have a nice pellicle forming.

Back