Aluminium.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caustic soda is a bad idea and I've seen at least one batch of jambalaya chew through aluminum. But that took all weekend.

Yuri_Rage said:
Don't mix bleach and aluminum. I avoid using it on stainless as well, but that's not as big a concern.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. IIRC you shouldn't use bleach with Stainless. It's a moot point to me as I use aluminum and I DON'T use bleach - I prefer Iodophor because it has less contact time to sanitize, and doesn't require rinsing.

However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't use bleach to clean/sanitize cornies as it reacts with the stainless they are made of.

bikebryan said:
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. IIRC you shouldn't use bleach with Stainless. It's a moot point to me as I use aluminum and I DON'T use bleach - I prefer Iodophor because it has less contact time to sanitize, and doesn't require rinsing.

However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't use bleach to clean/sanitize cornies as it reacts with the stainless they are made of.
I had to look it up to make sure, but here it is, straight outta Palmer's "How to Brew:"

Bleach should be avoided because the high pH of a bleach solution can cause corrosion of aluminum and to a lessor degree of stainless steel.

Either way, I like bleach for cleaning my plastic buckets and Better Bottle, but I avoid it when cleaning metal.

Yuri_Rage said:
I had to look it up to make sure, but here it is, straight outta Palmer's "How to Brew:"

Bleach should be avoided because the high pH of a bleach solution can cause corrosion of aluminum and to a lessor degree of stainless steel.

Either way, I like bleach for cleaning my plastic buckets and Better Bottle, but I avoid it when cleaning metal.
OK. Thanks. Like I mentioned, I don't use bleach anyways so it's a moot point to me.

Back