Bottle temp. vs. secondary temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultralord

Reaction score
My first batch has been in the secondary for 2 weeks at ~70° in my fermentation chiller. I want to bottle it now but it's about 82° in the house. Is it ok to bottle condition at that temperature? Should I bring the secondary temperature up before I bottle? I'm just afraid of making bottle bombs.

Just go take your beer out of the chiller right now. Then, go set up your bottling and sanitize everything. By the time you're ready to start capping, the beer should be getting close to the 82°.

I don't know what the thermal expansion of beer is, but with just a few degrees different, I'm thinking you won't get bombs. That said, why rush it? Let the beer slowly warm up and then bottle.

Bottle bombs are solely caused by too much priming sugar (or bottling too early). If the brew is a little warm when you bottle, you'll actually have more headroom when it cools.

His beer is actually colder than ambient, so in the bottle its going to expand.

As long as you uses the appropriate amount of priming sugar and don't fill to the top, you should be fine.

I wasn't really thinking about expansion. I was thinking that the warmer temp. would lead to more vigorous yeast activity. I guess that as long as they have the right amount of food, the temp shouldn't matter. Right?

Back