First Brewday in Years. 2 Batches & a Dead Snake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffk14

Reaction score
Well, spent most of the day brewing up 2 batches. Got off to a slow start, because when I went to step outside my basement first thing this morning, I was greeted by a copperhead only inches from my sandaled foot. Had to dispatch said copperhead, then resume plans to brew.

1st batch was a 6 gal batch in the new Cooper's fermenter. Just a Coopers Lager (style) kit. Followed the recipe, 'cept I boiled for awhile, about 20 minutes.

2nd was a Northern Nut Brown Ale recipe kit. Steeped the grains, boiled for an hour and it's now in the Ale Pail. Sooo, got 11 gals workin' now. Will bottle in 3 weeks.

BTW, this was the first brew session that I've ever done without using bleach as a sanitizer. All I got to say is, B-T-F Iodophor RAWKS! :rockin:

Sounds like you have a name for at least one of the brews. Its great you decided to pick up the hobby again. Im sure once you crack the first cap you will keep the pipeline going.

Sounds like you have a name for at least one of the brews. Its great you decided to pick up the hobby again. Im sure once you crack the first cap you will keep the pipeline going.

"Jeff's Dead Copperhead Ale" Kinda does have a ring to it. Thanks for the idea. :mug:

Well, spent most of the day brewing up 2 batches. Got off to a slow start, because when I went to step outside my basement first thing this morning, I was greeted by a copperhead only inches from my sandaled foot. Had to dispatch said copperhead, then resume plans to brew.

Should've thrown the snake into the brown ale's boil, imo.

In Okinawa, Japan, they have a drink called Habu-sake. Habu is the name of the indigenous pit-viper.

They ferment (or bottle?) the sake with habu parts in it. It's supposed to be pretty powerful. Never got to try it. I was only 12 when I was there.

Could be onto something! :mug:

Back