My wife isn't too pleased :-\

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Weather turned bad this evening and I had to move my brew (in progress) off the turkey fryer and on to the stovetop. Everything turned out OK except for the stovetop.

stovetop.jpg

...needless to say, the wife wasn't too pleased with the results. Guess I know how I'll be spending my Saturday. heh

Bust out the Oxyclean.... The bottom of my pot looked worse than that once and the oxyclean got it off really easily..

John - mix up a solution of oxy or b-brite or the like, take off the burner element, place an old folded bath towel on the stove top and soak it with the solution - keep it wet overnight and you'll save yourself a bunch of scrubbing....

speaking from experience...

skol!

Thanks for the ideas. She was still pissed this morning - heh. I'll see if I can start the process this evening and let it soak overnight. In a weird way, this just gained me some more leeway to buy additional equipment as she told me that I'm NEVER brewing in the house again. "Ok - but I'm gonna have to buy more stuff...". ;-)

If the above suggestions don't work, you can always try Barkeeper's Friend. You can usually find it at restaurant supply shops and most places that sell pots and pans (I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond).

Good luck!

Cheesefood said:
At least you're not going to get complaints about "the smell".

ROFL

John Beere: I want to see an after picture and how long it took you. Bet its still not to her satisfaction. I had a slight spillover for the one and only batch I did in the house and the black porcelan sucked it in somehow and that stain is there for the life of it I think.

iloman said:
If the above suggestions don't work, you can always try Barkeeper's Friend. You can usually find it at restaurant supply shops and most places that sell pots and pans (I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond).

Good luck!

I've found that stuff at Wal*Mart too..

iloman said:

Good luck!
Be careful though. It is abrasive and will scratch your stove.
EDIT: Now that I think about it I'm not sure if it was the Barkeepers Friend so much as the Scotchbright pad I used to scrub my kettle with that caused the scratches.

iloman said:

Good luck!

There ya go. If that stuff doesn't get it clean it can't be cleaned. That stuff is incredible.:)

first i would get another stove top for the wife. i am the king of the kitchen and if you did that to my stove top i'd raise a popknot on your head.

next get a brew shed:

BREWSTAND_037.jpg

That does look nice. You should post some pics of what it looks like inside. My next house will have both a lot more land and a barn that I can convert, at least in part, to a brewhouse.

John Beere said:
Weather turned bad this evening and I had to move my brew (in progress) off the turkey fryer and on to the stovetop. Everything turned out OK except for the stovetop.

...needless to say, the wife wasn't too pleased with the results. Guess I know how I'll be spending my Saturday. heh

I have always done my brews on the stove. It has looked bad at times and I had some cleaning to do, but I have to ask you... and hopfully you wont take this the wrong way.... WHAT THE HELL HAPENED :D Man..... was it spottless before you started? I mean there is bad... and then there is holy mother of god.... wow..... Did you have a boilover?

Well you got some good suggestions to clean it. I have always used like... SOS kinda things.....gotta check out some of the suggestions though. Um... just keep calm.

Beer Snob said:
I have always done my brews on the stove. It has looked bad at times and I had some cleaning to do, but I have to ask you... and hopfully you wont take this the wrong way.... WHAT THE HELL HAPENED :D Man..... was it spottless before you started? I mean there is bad... and then there is holy mother of god.... wow..... Did you have a boilover?

My turkey fryer isn't all that clean, neither is the bottom of the outside of my brew pot... it had never been a problem before. When I sat it on the stovetop, it sort of pushed the burner down where the entire bottom of my brew pot sat flat on the stovetop and all the residue from the bottom of the pot "heat transfered" to the stove top - and man was it ever stuck.

Its all clean by the way. Thanks for all the advice. I did buy a new "eye" as that one was shot. I let it soak overnight in some easy oven off and then put some elbow grease into in the morning. Pain in the tail - but it worked. Looks good as new - err, close enough (for me - heh). Lesson learned...

Wow, i only have a few batches under my belt but i have never had a boil over. Tell me that i haven't spoken too soon.

Anyway, i live in a house built in 1920 and the basement, while it has a finished floor, it is not the best effort at finishing concrete i have seen. That being said coupled with the extra stove i moved into the house (now located in the basement) i am working on creating my "Man Space", which of course will have an area for my brewing. The wife gets to decorate the tops floors and i get the basement:mug:

Good luck on cleaning that bad boy.

My first brew, my buddy and I had a FULL boil over. Watching TV... go figure:D I'm talking ..... we had to move the stove out and scrub the whole thing down... was terrible.....I'll never let it happen again.....

My honey HATES the smell of brewing beer. So I suggested getting a shed. She loves the idea, as long as it dosn't cost half the total price of the house(GRR!! she knows me well...) I have found a 10X14' Shed with a double door that Lowes installs/builds for $2,800.00 But that seems a bit too rich for me. I have to fit the lawnmower, leafblower etc. into it as well (not a problem, it'll fit in one corner anyhow) but I want to insulate it put a heater and an air conditioner in it(probly the kind that is designed to hang out a window) After the insulation, running a new circuit out to it (thinking of plumbing it too)and putting sheet rock in it the price is more than what my wallet can handle. Anyone have any ideas where to shop for a shed that meets my needs or maybe some shortcuts I can take to keep costs down?:drunk:

Grimsawyer said:
My honey HATES the smell of brewing beer. So I suggested getting a shed. She loves the idea, as long as it dosn't cost half the total price of the house(GRR!! she knows me well...) I have found a 10X14' Shed with a double door that Lowes installs/builds for $2,800.00 But that seems a bit too rich for me. I have to fit the lawnmower, leafblower etc. into it as well (not a problem, it'll fit in one corner anyhow) but I want to insulate it put a heater and an air conditioner in it(probly the kind that is designed to hang out a window) After the insulation, running a new circuit out to it (thinking of plumbing it too)and putting sheet rock in it the price is more than what my wallet can handle. Anyone have any ideas where to shop for a shed that meets my needs or maybe some shortcuts I can take to keep costs down?:drunk:
Build the shed yourself. I did this and saved about half if not more. I just went to the local lumber yard with a pen and paper, measured everything, took pics, and purchased the materials.
I had fun building it too. :mug:
Oh by the way, mine holds bikes, lawn mower, junk, etc... no brew house. :mad:

My wife and I have been through it all... boilovers on the stove, the "smell" issue, the move to all grain, and minikegging and all the new equipment that entails. But she loves the beer, and has been very supportive of the whole habit...er... hobby.

I just got an email from her that she bought me a "beer suprise" from Target.com. A new beer sign for the bar? A 10 gallon brew kettle? Who knows, who cares, its beer oriented, and SHE bought it for me. She even helped me get the beer freezer and thermostat last month...

I won't call her SWMBO... I'm married to the best woman.... EVER!

andre the giant said:
My wife and I have been through it all... boilovers on the stove, the "smell" issue, the move to all grain, and minikegging and all the new equipment that entails. But she loves the beer, and has been very supportive of the whole habit...er... hobby.

I just got an email from her that she bought me a "beer suprise" from Target.com. A new beer sign for the bar? A 10 gallon brew kettle? Who knows, who cares, its beer oriented, and SHE bought it for me. She even helped me get the beer freezer and thermostat last month...

I won't call her SWMBO... I'm married to the best woman.... EVER!

Yeah, my wife's alright I guess - but she doesn't like beer so I'm in a different boat. Well, I guess she didn't kick me out for what I did to her stove so I guess she's a little better than just "alright"... heh. I just remind her that she's the one that "OK'ed" me getting back into all this by buying me that starter kit for my birthday back when... I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any more "beer suprises" or beer related gifts from her any time soon. :)

Andre, you're a lucky man, but then again so am I. SWMBO (and she LOVES that term, by the way - as soon as I introduced it to her, she immediately went to her board to share with like five hundred other mommies) has been a great support in starting this addiction. Bought me my kit, she doesn't mind (hell, ENJOYS) the aromas of brewing, always wants to go with me to the HBS, doesn't mind my spending a little bit on gear. Hell, just the other day she was on her way to the mall to see a movie, asked me if I wanted her to stop by Target on the way and pick up a big cooler I could use as a "lauter-tun thingie."

So, you're a lucky man, but so am I.

John Beere, sounds like you've got a romantic dinner in front of you - or at least some flowers and chocolates.

Back