Longer boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
What's the advantage to having a longer boil time? I typically don't boil any longer than 60 minutes, though I regularly see 90 minute boils in some recipes. I actually saw someone had a recipe calling for a 6 hour boil! Besides getting a higher gravity through evaporation, what benefit is there?

If achieving a higher gravity is the only benefit, then how is that better than just using less water to begin with?

When brewing AG some malts or adjuncts are more prone to add DMS to your beer and a 90min. boil is supposed to drive more of it off.I've heard wheat malt is one of these along with lightly kilned malts like pilsener.I have no idea why you would boil for 6hrs unless you had a housefull of screaming kids and needed to get away.

Longer boil also means greater hop utilization, but 6 hours?!?! I guess if you are trying to get 60 IBUs out of 1/4 oz of Cascades.... I don't see any benefit unless you really enjoy seeing the guy at the propane filling station.

If achieving a higher gravity is the only benefit, then how is that better than just using less water to begin with?

If it is AG, and you use less water, meaning sparge less, that will further reduce your efficiency by leaving more sugars in the mash. Wont work

Longer boil also means greater hop utilization, but 6 hours?!?! I guess if you are trying to get 60 IBUs out of 1/4 oz of Cascades.... I don't see any benefit unless you really enjoy seeing the guy at the propane filling station.

Hop utilization is maxed out at 90 minutes, maybe even less...

Use this :D and Id get it heh... I know you didnt really think that, but some may!

higher OG
higher efficiency
a bit more IBU'ige
reduce DMS for pilsner malts/malts that lead to high DMS
more kettle carmelization/malliard reactions

Back