How long can I wait before using an active Wyeast Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alembic

Reaction score
I smacked my Wyeast pack yesterday with the idea of brewing today. However, time prohibits me from brewing until tomorrow. The yeast pack has fully swelled. Will it be able to wait until tomorrow? Should I refrigerate it until I start brewing or just leave it out at room temp.?

I've never been delayed before so I was wondering what the best course of action would be.

Thanks,

Put int in the fridge and let it warm up again once you start brewing. If it takes you more than a couple of days to start brewing,I recommend making a starter.

You can also make a starter now and let the yeast start fermenting the starter. Once you know that you will be brewing, pop the fermenting starter in the fridge to get the yeast to settle out. The next morning, deccant the liquid and let the yeast sediment warm up. Then mix with wort and pitch.

Kai

You are welcome,

Just as a clarification, the first paragraph is a simple method that should work. The second one is more advanced but will give you more healthy yeast to pitch. Choose whatever you feel comfortable with.

Kai

I couldn't have added anything to what Kai advised. Brew well and brew often and I will have another Trippel ;)

Back