Spicy pickled eggs...Looking for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihophead

Reaction score
I had the BEST pickled eggs yesterday at a bar in Wayne WI while out on the bike and know I have the bug to make some.

I couldn't get the recipe out of them and all I know is that the brine looked like muddy water and they at least used onions, olives and jalapeños...could they have used the olive brine too??? Could they have darkened the brine by using some balsamic vinegar?

I wish I would have grabbed a few to go so I could try to distinguish the tastes....:mad:

Anyway I would love to hear some of your recipes that you have actually tried and not ones just found on the net.

Thanks for any assistance

The easiest recipe (and the one I like best) is 18 eggs swimming in a brine of one jar or hot gardenia mix and one jar of sliced jalepenos (banana pepper rings optional). Top off the jug with a 3:1 water/vinegar brine and let condition for about 4 days. This is as close as I could come to the eggs I fell in love with when I was in college.

My favorite pickled egg recipe is really easy. Fill a big jar with Mexican pickled Jalapeno peppers and liquid from the can, roasted whole peeled garlic, dry oregano and a bunch of hard boiled eggs. The garlic pickles as well and makes a great combo. Takes about two weeks. Total gas bomb!

I don't have a recipe my buddy gave me on me (at work) but ill try to remember to post up the recipe when i get home for ya. From what i can remember, cant remember it all, it had Onion, garlic, dried mustard, horse radish, jalapeños, eggs, vinegar, and pickling spice. Like i said i cant remember it all but ill try to post it up for you guys. Does look a lot like muddy water too. LOL

it might have cayenne pepper as well, either way its SOOOOOO good. :)

sorry guys, i was totally slammed last night, ill try to grab the goods tonight. In the middle of buying my first house. times are CRAZY right now. LOL

OK im a looser i know LOL i am writing myself a note now. I had to sign today on my house, as well as be at a 6 hour long meeting for my job. Yuck.....i haven't packed my recipe book yet, so i promise im going to write it up for you guys. Sorry again

OK so i am totally redeeming my loserness and posting my pickled eggs recipe for you ladies and gents.

Here goes

1Qt apple cider vinegar
1/2 Qt. water
4 Tbsp Salt
4 Tbsp Pickling spice
5 Tbsp Sugar
1 can jalapeños ( i usually go to the ethnic isle and get the jalapeños and carrots can more = more spicy) and they are usually cheaper for the large can
2 Tsp Worcestershire
3 Tbsp horseradish (i typically get beaver creamy)
4 Tbsp Dry Mustard
3 Tbsp Peppercorns
1 Tbsp Cayenne

Simmer above ingredients above for ~5 Min.

Pour Over :
24 hard boiled eggs
2 sliced onions
1 bulb Garlic (or more :) )

let the eggs sit in the mixture for ~ a week or so. Then enjoy :)

let me know how you guys like them, all ingredients are adjustable obviously you can get it as spicy as you like :) Oh yea the garlic for some reason turns blue after a while, im not sure why, but i don't think its a big deal.

Thanks that looks very good....I am having a problem locating pickling spice locally right now, it is kind of a seasonal thing...:eek:

I was having a hard time getting it as well, out west here i found that some of the stores like a place called Fred Meyers has an "all natural" herbal type section. They have a bulk section within that area that has spices and other stuff, they have a huge jar of pickling spice and it is WAY cheaper than just buying it off the spice rack. I would suggest trying to find a place that sells spices in bulk, and a lot of the time you can find it located there. Hope that helps

Well here they are...can't wait to try them!!!

DSCF0010.JPG

Right on, looks good. Sounds like your well on your way to a batch of good pickled eggs. Im assuming you were able to get ahold of some pickling spice? Looks pretty good, makes me want to unpack all my stuff at the new house and make some pickled eggs myself. Did it resemble the eggs you had at the bar?

Right on, looks good. Sounds like your well on your way to a batch of good pickled eggs. Im assuming you were able to get ahold of some pickling spice? Looks pretty good, makes me want to unpack all my stuff at the new house and make some pickled eggs myself. Did it resemble the eggs you had at the bar?

Yep I found some pickling spice but I had to pay alot for it....lol
They look very close to what I had at the bar....:mug:
I pulled out some onions and tried them and they were terrific, nice bite too.
I have a few people waiting to see how they turn out and if they do they are going to make some too.

Thanks for the recipe, it looks like it was just what I was looking for!!!

Man that sounds awesome. I used to work with a guy that made pickled eggs every year as part of an annual deer hunting competition. Those are the only ones I've ever tried but would love make my own.

Well once i get things situated at my new house (just bought my first home). I could probably get you a good chunk of pickling spice if you decide that you are wanting to make more. Pickling spice for some reason is REALLY expensive when you buy it in the little bottles, but if you buy it in bulk at the bulk food store it is dirt cheap, i think the last bag i bought would probably do about 3 batches and i paid like 2.00 for the entire bag. So if you want i could pick ya some up and ship it your way if your at all interested, if its that tough to find.

Im glad you enjoy the recipe so far, they only get better with time too. Man, im going to have to make some now that you guys got me thinking about them. LOL

So i finally got around to making a batch of these guys myself, after talking about them on here i started thinking it was time to make some up. So i took a few pics of my cooking session and thought i would post them up for you guys.

Here goes
This is just a small portion of the stuff i use, most stuff is pretty basic but i know there was some talk of pickling spice so i did a bit of comparing. small baggy of PS is left over from my last batch (bought in bulk), the bottle is your standard size found at the supermarket, and the large bag was purchased today and cost all of 5.23. I would say the bulk bag would fill the bottle 6-7 times give or take, and the small bottle cost anywhere from 4-6 bucks at the store. So as you can see buying bulk for something like this is the best way to go.

also included is a bag of pepper corns, my pickle jar, and a large can of jalapenos and carrots, and one bulb of garlic.
DSCF0645.jpg

Boiling 24 eggs
DSCF0646.jpg

Next is all ingredients together and then simmering
DSCF0649.jpg

DSCF0647.jpg

all eggs peeled
DSCF0648.jpg

All stuff to go into the jar
DSCF0650.jpg

all stuff in the jar in layers
DSCF0651.jpg

all ready for a week soak and then the eating starts
DSCF0652.jpg

OK.. really simple recipe I found on youtube.

1. Boil Eggs, peel, put in jar.
2. pour jar 1/4 full with white vinegar.
3. Fill rest of jar with Louisiana Hot Sauce.
4. Put sliced jalapeños and a little of there liquid in as well.
5. Put in fridge.

Just tried these. They are simple and very pleasing with a medium-low heat... It has only been 4 days though and I think they need to rest a little longer and they will be very good! Plus it doesn't get any easier.

This might seem like a silly question but how long does this keep for?
Usually picked stuff lasts forever as long as the seal isn't broken.. Not sure about the home made stuff though.

Thanks!

Reading this thread just made me realize I have a bag of jalapenos at at my house. I forget where I put them I hope my wife didn't throw them out. My cousin gave me some and a little baggie habaneros. I want pickled eggs damnit.

I used to make jalapeno egss with nothing but a gallon of jalapenos from Sam's. I'd boil 1-2 dozen eggs (leave the shell on) and put them and the gallon of jalapenos in a glass jug top of the fridge for a month. You could see the progress each week when you peeled and sliced one. By week 4 they were green all the way through.

If you press the hardboiled egg on its side against a hard surface gently, it will have a pressure fracture and you can slide pretty much the whole shell off. The other secret is making sure your eggs are cold, if they are still warm they will rip apart like you are talking about. I was a prep cook in high school, I have peeled more hard boil eggs than any one person could eat in their entire life, it really is an art.

Put vinegar in the water when you boil them. I always thought this was an "old wives tale" but I always did it anyway, however when I made some boiled eggs earlier this week and didn't have any vinegar I said screw it and just made them anyway, and I've had issues peeling the eggs ever since. The vinegar made a huge difference!

It may be cheaper in the long run to make your own Pickling Spice, especially if you have a local supermarket with a good bulk foods section. We have WinCo Foods in the Inland Northwest, thier bulk food section is of the chain.

Pickling Spice Recipe:

1 Cinnamon Stick (broken into pieces)
5 Bay Leaves (crushed)
2 Tbsp Mustard Seed
1 Tbsp Whole Allspice
1 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp Dill Seeds
2 Tsp Cardamon Seeds
1 - 2 Tsp Hot Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Whole Cloves

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Store in a airtight container, should stay good for up to a year.

Just curious, what’s the verdict? I’ve never had pickled eggs (nor thought I would ever) but zachatola’s recipe is making my lips smack and stomach growl (i.e., sounds really freakin good!) :cross:

I love them. I just did 30 eggs with slightly more jalapenos, a couple habaneros, and some chipotles. I then added a dash of a scotch bonnet based hot sauce. I left out the horseradish and mustard on this batch.

How do you get your eggs to peel so nicely? I've tried and tried and the shells just don't come off without taking some of the white with it.

I was friends with a lady who sold eggs at the local Farmer's Markets and posed this very question to her after a disaster involving half a dozen boiled eggs. She says that the more fresh the egg, the stronger the membrane connection of the egg and the shell. The older the egg, the easier it will be to peel.

So, make sure your eggs are at least a week old before boiling guys!

I will second the old egg thing. I give spent grain to some friends and they give me eggs. I found out from then that the month old eggs peeled so much better than the fresh ones. Most eggs you get at the store are about a month from being laid so I'm told so that's why they tend to peel better than the super fresh ones I've been getting.

Back