Illinois eastern face growing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Hi everyone..I was hoping to get tome insight. I have limited places to place hop vines and was planning on doing Cascade, Cenntennial and Chinook on the easter face of my house. The soil will be good and fertalized and on a slight hill so irragation will be fine. The problem is the limites direct sun the vines will get..I will get some exposure from the south in the AM..and some fromt he north in the PM..but no direct mid day..am I wasting my time? or do you think I will still get some growth?

Thanks for any input

Jay

Your total yield may be down a bit due to lack of sun, but I hear that hops like the morning sun, so give it a try. Grass likes direct sun too so how well does the grass grow there? If the grass grows well there, then it should be worth an attempt.

Well that side of the house the grass grows fine..needs water from time to time but grows..I have 3 cascade 3 cenntennial 2 chinook and 1 hallertaeu..plenty of plants... I just dont want them to croak on me and yield nothing.

Jay

Bump

So any thoughts???If I have a lower yield that will be ok..It really is more for the fun..but I do not want them crapping out and being a waste..I figure Cascade and Cenntennial will be fine they seem hearty..

I would love to put them by our vegtable garden..full sun and a nice raised garden..but im thinking the wife will not go for this so the eastern side of the house is my only other place.

Jay

I'd say, for as inexpensive as the rhizomes are, give it a try.

How about this,
Put it in the vegetable garden and tell the wife it's a new type of climbing rose.

cefmel said:
How about this,
Put it in the vegetable garden and tell the wife it's a new type of climbing rose.

HMMM..one that doesn't bloom until september and than I can just give her 2 dozen roses and say I just cut them:D

I have 9 hrizomes..so I think at worst they will just grow slow and fruit very little..but they will probably do this the first year any how..

J

I am in Westchester, IL. I have 4 plants, 2 nugget and 2 cascade. They are on the east face of my garage and grow very well. Give it a try for sure.The only problem is that i dont understand how to treat the plants. I made a horizontal trelice system before i read up on how to do it correctly. On the horizontal trellice they grow like crazy, but are too crowded. have ordered a book this year and will try to follow it to the letter. I just dont have vertical space to get the vines up high.

Give those guys a try i think you will be impressed.

Thanks for the insight..I was planning on going vertical about 15 feet. Not sure yet how..but I plan on getting the dirt good and ready and fertalizing..plenty of water..

Jay

I'm guessing their growth will be limited. The first year I planted, I had two plants that got constant sunlight and two plants that got sun until ~1pm when the sun moved behind some trees that blocked the sunlight. Those two plants just did not grow. I transplanted them the following year.

You may have an okay yield, but it's been my experience that the more sun, the better.

Rhoobarb said:
I'm guessing their growth will be limited. The first year I planted, I had two plants that got constant sunlight and two plants that got sun until ~1pm when the sun moved behind some trees that blocked the sunlight. Those two plants just did not grow. I transplanted them the following year.

You may have an okay yield, but it's been my experience that the more sun, the better.

I would have to say I agree..With what I have limited space and what to deal with. I figure it is worth a shot. If they do not suceed at all I will move them next year. I figure they will yield very little the first summer..I just want to see tham grow.

Jay

Latest posts

Back