Lager Hiatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogget

Reaction score
Have a bastardized pilsner that has been lagering for about a month now. I'm all ready to brew some more lager in a couple days. Would it hurt the beer that is lagering to bring it up to 50 or so for a few weeks while this new batch ferments? And then take them both back down to lagering temps?

Another question, I never racked the beer that has been lagering. Is that cake still viable?

I think you'd be fine. I've bottled lagers then let them come to room temp for conditioning with no ill effects. Same thing kind of

Have a bastardized pilsner that has been lagering for about a month now. I'm all ready to brew some more lager in a couple days. Would it hurt the beer that is lagering to bring it up to 50 or so for a few weeks while this new batch ferments? And then take them both back down to lagering temps?

Another question, I never racked the beer that has been lagering. Is that cake still viable?

I have done this before with no ill effects.

If you are lagering in the primary I would harvest some of the yeast, wash it and use it in a starter before pitching into another batch.

Back