Need ideas for beer brine for turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Hey all I am looking for ideas for brining my next turkey. I've used Coors (first turkey, sorry), Sam Adams, leinenkeugle, and so many others.

Was looking at Lost Abby's Devotion and/or a Maibock. Feel free to throw anything out there and I will keep them all in mind. Thanks for the input.

Will post results ;)

This sounds really good, never thought about using beer in the brine. I've done several brined turkeys on the grill, they are great. I put today's turkey in the brine last night so i missed the chance to use beer this time. But next time with a nice lightly hopped nut brown ale sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the great idea.

I use a basic brine with salt, brown sugar and the usual peppercorns and stuff. Maybe throwing in a few hops when I first boil up the brine would add to it, but I don't know if any of the other flavors of a beer would be noticed.???

bosco

I haven't tried it but one of our local microbreweries (Epic ) was selling wort for their 825 State Stout to use in turkey brine. Makes sense to use unfermented wort since most basic brines contain quite a bit of sugar in addition to the salt.

ButcherBoy said:
This sounds really good, never thought about using beer in the brine. I've done several brined turkeys on the grill, they are great. I put today's turkey in the brine last night so i missed the chance to use beer this time. But next time with a nice lightly hopped nut brown ale sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the great idea.

It's a great idea. Ive done it for years. Grab a 12 pk and top off with water. Check out Lienenkuegle, the flavors it imparts to the turkey are amazing.

shelly_belly said:
I use Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale as the local grubmart discounts it to $3.99 per 12 pack the day after Halloween. I can't drink it, but it does well in the brine.

Hahahaha that's funny because you can't drink it normally. Not a good beer IMO

I've also used the Homebrewed Chef's recipe the past 3 years. However I use a 2:1 water:beer instead of the 1:1 in the recipe (I was worried the first time, so was conservative with the amount of beer. Since it worked so well the first time I haven't changed it)

This year I used Sierra Nevada Tumbler. The previous two years, I used Lagunitas Censored. Both beers worked incredibly.

Latest posts

Back