'Hot' dessert wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've made the Okanagan Peach Icewine Style by Selection. I 'missed' the recomend racking at below 1.080 (it starts at about 1.160 ) and instead just merged that with the 'stablize below 1.060' step.

What I've noticed however is that the wine feels 'hot.' That sort of alcoholic feel in the mouth. Is that likely to go away with time? Does the wine need extended breathing for that to resolve? or is it likely to cure in the bottle - which I think I do when it is clear in about 7 to 14 days.

It will take more than a year to cure any alcohol "hotness" and let the flavors meld. Give it time in the bottle.

I don't remember when I last opened a bottle, but yes it was still hot. It is more syrupy than a bottle of ice wine I bought to try the style. Rather like warm schnapps even when my ice wine was chilled.

I have cut it with juice in the glass and that removes both the hot and syrup feel. If it ever mellows I definitely recommended the kit. As it is now I'd recommend it with comments about it being hot and feeling like a liqueur as one friend put it.

I made this kit according to the recipee and it was awsome! I also used another kit to make a Pyment with honey and Peach Puree and it was really good as well. I was happy to see this kits re-introduced. Have two fresh kits waiting on a primary fermenter to get started.

Back