How much difference will this make on the OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I mixed up must tonight for some banana wine....Making a gallon for a friend will get me a few free carboys I think:rockin:
Anyway I mixed it up loosely following a recipe that yooperbrew had posted on here a couple years back ( google search) I put 4.5 ( I think her recipe called for 3.5) punds of sliced bananas in a grain bag and brought em to a boil in 3 quarts of water....simmered em for 30 minutes then poured the water over 2.5 pounds of granulated sugar... stirred until the sugar was dissolved then added pectic enzyme and acid blend. I was SUPPOSED to take a hydrometer reading at this time ( cooled down to about 75 degrees ) BUT I forgot to and added the yeast that I had activated in sugar water and banana mush. THEN I remembered the hydrometer and pulled out a sample and got an OG of 1.120.....how much did the yeast effect the reading if at all?

oh yeah.. I added water to make this 1 gallon before stirring it very well and taking the reading.

You could add water, to get a more reasonable OG reading if you want. Otherwise, at 1.120, you'll have a 17% ABV banana rocket fuel (depending on the yeast). I'd add 1/2 gallon of water since you added more bananas, and then when you rack to the one gallon carboy, just keep the extra in an airlocked bottle to use to top up the racking losses.

You could add water, to get a more reasonable OG reading if you want. Otherwise, at 1.120, you'll have a 17% ABV banana rocket fuel (depending on the yeast). I'd add 1/2 gallon of water since you added more bananas, and then when you rack to the one gallon carboy, just keep the extra in an airlocked bottle to use to top up the racking losses.

will do .........montrachet yeast

Yooper, how much will the half gallon of water affect the OG? This stuff SMELLS like it is fermenting but it has zero foam even though I had a good foaming yeast before I pitched it. It looks every bit like dirty dish water. I want to check the SG in a few days but now have no clue where I started at with the addition of the extra water.

With an OG that high the yeast are most likely in shock from going from an estimated OG of 1.040 to 1.120.
Let me ask you how would you feel if you to do a free dive from sea level to 100 ft and told to go to work. :)
I would most likely die, but they will adapt, but you will have a slow start.
I think Yooper was concerned with how the final product would taste and I agree an ABV like that would take a long time to be drinkable. Think kerosene mixed with rocket fuel.
I'm taking a wild guess and thinking adding 1/3 more water will bring the SG down by 1/3. So it would adjust your SG to 1.080 or so. If fermented out to 1.000 would still get you well north of 10% ABV and the banana flavour should start showing through.

Added the 1/2 gallon of water...still looks like dirty dish water...smells like alcohol

Back