$120 Are you Kidding me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon240

Reaction score
While searching my semi local Craigslist I found all this for $120. Only problem is it's over a pass that is really crappy in the winter (would take me up to 5 hours round trip).
The Complete Joy of Home Brewing book
The Home Brewers Companion book
1 6-gallon plastic fermenting bucket
3 5-gallon glass carboys
1 3-gallon glass carboy
Various corks, fermenting locks, stoppers to fit carboys and buckets
1 large stainless steel pot for cooking up a batch
1 bottle capping device (for beer bottles)
1 bottle corker (for wine bottles)
1 bottle washer/sprayer (attaches to faucet)
1 heating element/strip (for brewing in winter/cold basements, etc)
1 siphon/pump with control valve (for transferring between carboy or bottling)
1 low tech scale (for measuring ingredients)
1 strainer
1 funnel
1 tube for holding hydrometer to take measurement(sorry, I broke my
hydrometer, but you can pick one up in Medford at the brewing store)
Tons of de-labeled and wash 12 oz bottles
A couple of bags of bottle caps
Some beer ingredients (different malts, barley, gypsum, clearing agents, yeast, etc -can throw in supplies to make your own sarsaparilla and root beer)
Other Stuff

I want it badly but you all think it's worth the drive at that price? It's been up for over a week and may be gone now...

5h round trip? Considering time and money (gas) ... I'd say now!

I don't know. THere's nothing really impressive in there except the pot....and you don't know HOW large it is. You'd do better with a new starter kit and turkey fryer kit. Might cost about $160 total.

Well what I was looking at was the second plastic fermentor, the carboys and the pot to add on to my current set up, for me to get 3 5gal carboys and a plastic and a pot I'm lookin at a large bill already. Plus a corker would be nice, as well as not paying shipping, just my time.

Ten hours drive time...no way man! The glass carboys are a liability IMO. Get some buckets and start brewing! You can put together an equip. list on the cheap that will do all that can do IMO. Go lean, you can still make fine beer!

If you have 5 hours to spare I say go for it. 5 gallon carboys are around $30 now and a 3 gallon is close to that. Seems worth it to me. If I had the extra scratch and it was close...IT WOULD BE MINE!!!

:tank:

No nothing was steller, its just a lot more than a beginners kit. Beginners kit ran me about the same and only got 1 fermentor and 1 bottling bucket, no SS pot, and a beer kit, this has 4 fermentors and some supplies I can use... just the jugs and the bucket from midwest is already over $120 before shipping (180 with and without all the extras).

if you have the time and a reason to go i say hit em up. if not then it all depends on what you really need.

It really depends on how good of a deal you consider this. I wouldn't drive 5 hours for much of anything beer related. Granted, I live outside of Boston, and our craigslist has been treating me pretty good lately.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/craigslist-score-merry-xmas-me-91935/

I drove about 2.5 hours round trip for that stuff, but it was an incredible deal.

This stuff you found doesn't really jump out at me. If you are a trusting person, you could find out how much shipping might be and use paypal for a secure and protected transaction...

It all depends, is there a brewery on the other side of the pass? Can you get wife points by taking her to dinner somewhere over there? Maximize your bang per gallon and it would be worthwhile.

SWMBO works most of the days that I'd be goin so no points there. The thing that sucks about where I live is the closest LHBS is in the city where this listing is.

Then plan a Homebrew store run too for ingredients. Seems like a better idea the more info you tell us.

Then plan a Homebrew store run too for ingredients. Seems like a better idea the more info you tell us.

I'm sad that the LHBS here went out of business. It went under like 3 months before I got into brewing. Right now I either order stuff or have my folks make a run to the one where they live (tasting my first batch got my dad into homebrewing, he's planning on getting his operation started here in a week or two:rockin:)

Back