Kent Goldings for bittering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I'm making an English Pale Ale and I cannot get my hands on any fuggles. I have a bunch of UK Kent Goldings, so I was going to use these for bittering & aroma.

Good idea, bad idea?

I've used EKG's as bittering hops in an ESB recipe that has gotten rave reviews both times I've brewed it (it even made runner-up in a local HBC).

You won't have any problem, but with the English varieties non-existent, or very expensive, I might consider using a more avaliable, neutral hop for bittering & save the Goldings for flavor & aroma.

That being said... if you've got the goods, an all-golding ale sounds delicious!

Cheers :mug:

Great! I've got about 6 oz EKG, and 2 lbs of US Goldings. Are the US Goldings significantly different as a bittering hop?

I would hang onto the EKG for flavouring and aroma as someone suggested. I've been using galena for all my bittering additions (except first wort hopping when I do it) to great success.

You can use any hop you want for bittering. Obvioulsy with hop varieties that are normally used for flavor/aroma you will need to increase the amount for bittering.

I've never used either EKG of Fuggles for bittering, but it would certainly be interesting.

seems like a waste of goldings to me, but i'm pretty much living hand to kettle on hops right now. if your needs are taken care of i'm sure it'd make for some tasty beer.

In an ESB using US Goldings & Fuggles, which would you use as the bittering hop. I've seen so many recipes going both ways.

jvh261 said:
In an ESB using US Goldings & Fuggles, which would you use as the bittering hop. I've seen so many recipes going both ways.
Either is good, but I would use whichever has the higher AA% so you can use less of it. Alternatively if you have any fairly neutral high alpha hops (galena is a great one for this) they can be used for straight bittering additions so you can conserve the more expensive hops for flavour and aroma.

I have a single malt (Maris Otter) single hop (East Kent Golding) ale on tap right now. It's only a month old, but it's pretty darn tasty, even this young.

Back